Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Friday, November 11, 2011

11-11-11

Today is 11-11-11.  It's Veteran's Day.  11-11-11...it's supposed to be a lucky, magical, special day.  it's Veteran's Day.


And for so many American men and women it's not so special; it's not so magical; it's not so lucky.  It's a day they remember their cherished family members, soldiers who fought to give, keep or bring freedom to this nation we all love so very much.  Many of these loved ones perished keeping us safe.  Many of these loved ones live with battlescars so much deeper than any civilian one of us could ever possibly see.  


My grandfather was a veteran of WWII and the Korean War.  His son, my uncle a veteran of Vietnam.  Of course my grandfather served during a time when blacks were only allowed in the kitchen and latrines and my uncle served in a war that damaged him in ways one never thought possible.  They loved and love this country of ours and believed in it though for so long it was a country who treated them so very poorly.  My grandfather knew that more than fighting for our country he was fighting for a better life for his family of 9 children.  And he did a fine job.  An amazing job.


I have a high school friend who is so very dear to me who has served more stints in Iraq and Afghanistan than I can count, but he serves with great pride and honor.  For as long as I've known C (and that's since junior high) he has wanted to be a soldier and what a fine one he is.


I have a sorority sister who I love very much who serves in the Army as a pediatrician.  Though she has not had to 'go to war' she goes to war every day when she holds the hand of a scared little boy or girl who is a veteran of seeing their parent(s) go off to war for months, years at a time never knowing if they will see their mommy or daddy again.


So tonight I'm so thankful that Tate and I live in this great country of ours.  The U. S. of A.  We are grateful that because of those who are so much braver and stronger and more courageous than we could ever be that we are free and safe tonight from harm.  


We salute you, each and every one.