Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Saturday, July 9, 2011

True Love

I hope Tate always knows how much his grandparents love him.  Perhaps my biggest regret in having to wait so long to have him is that my parents are older, as am I :)  They have been amazing with him and what they have sacrificed for him, for me, for us is overwhelming.


Christian and I sat them down when he first came to visit me in the summer of August 2008 to discuss our decision for me to have this baby.  I had previously sat down with them alone to let them know how I planned on moving forward to have this baby on my own.  I know they were surprised, worried, concerned and hopeful for me.   Then I introduce them to this man from Germany who I had known for 8 hours in the rainforest in Australia.  And a white man at that.  My poor parents.  Whether or not they were on board 100% I'll never know, for they never let any doubt really show, nor did they express it.


11 months later, Tate arrived.  


KISSES!
My mom was in the delivery room with me during my C-section, and she was the first person to hold Tate after me.  While I lay in the operating room losing blood and almost consciousness, she carried my sweet newborn boy across the hall to the nursery.  True love at first sight.


I had asked my parents if they would mind babysitting Tate for me when I first went back to work.  I initially intended it to be for just 3-4 months;  it ended up being about 8.  We decided that Tate and I would stay with my parents for 2 weeks, and my mom would stay with us at my house for 2 weeks.  And when I first went back to work my father insisted that we spend 3 weeks at our own house because he knew it would be so hard on me and Tate.  (and I had to go back to work when he only 9 weeks old)


He loves to wear Papa's hat!
Though my mom did the bulk of the babysitting as my father substitute teaches, he was as involved as he could be.  He loves this little boy.  Loves him.  It's a beautiful thing to watch them together.  


In April of 2010, Tate started daycare, and I know they all missed each other.  Whenever he has just the sniffles they are quick to run over here and keep him for me.  I've called them at 5am to tell them I need my mom to please come watch him for me, and she's here.  They battle rush-hour traffic all the time to help us out.  We go over there almost every weekend if not to spend the night then to just hang out for a couple of hours. I'm always able to run out and do an errand or two while we're there, and they seem thrilled to have him to themselves.  I'll come in and the toys are strewn about, my mom will be holding Tate in their bedroom dancing to music and my dad will be covered in the playing cards Tate has tossed all over him.


I don't think you realize how much your parents love YOU until you see how much they love your child.  It's beautiful.


Tate is a very lucky little boy.  And I'm a very lucky daughter.


Sweet love

Always on the move!


My two favorite guys at Tate's 1st birthday celebration!

Chicago Fall 2010

Chicago 2010 - in town to watch Aunt Lindsey in the Chicago Marathon!


2 comments:

Shannon said...

I love that Tate is growing up knowing his grandparents so well. It's such a special relationship - he's a very lucky (and adorable) little boy!

Laraf123 said...

I have tears in my eyes from reading this. Yes, seeing how much my parents love the grandchildren none of us ever thought they'd have is startling. I do wish I could stop time so all of us could enjoy these moments forever.

Thank you for sharing this beautiful post.