Back to my pants. If I had a partner, he could run to the store for me and get me my sewing kit. I could run out once Baby Tate was in bed, or even during bathtime! In the middle of the night if I was out of infant Tylenol, someone could run to CVS and pick up some overpriced meds. If I needed ketchup for dinner I could run out and get it. These are the simple quandries that come with single parenting that can just put you right over the edge. If one more married or partnered friend tells me her husband doesn't really help with the kids or he gets home too late to do more than kiss the baby, so I'm like a single parent, I'm not going to be responsible for what I say. Yes, I chose single motherhood, yes I did. But that doesn't mean it doesn't come with it challenges, big and small. Their husband and/or partner can pick up the medicine on the way home or run out at 2am and pick some up. Need milk...send out your partner. I need milk...Tate will have water for dinner and breakfast. Oh I have some fabulous friends and neighbors who will come over and sit with him while I run out, but I rarely bother them. Needing milk isn't an emergency, needing to take myself to the ER is. I'd rather save those calls for then.
So, tonight I sit here wondering if I can order needle and thread on Amazon and it be here in 2 days. Free shipping and all makes it a real temptation.
Too bad I can't really sew.

1 comment:
I would happily bring you one of my extra sewing kits if we lived near each other! What a predicament. You're right, not an emergency but a major inconvenience. I, too, rarely or ever, ask my neighbors for help--I save that for the real emergencies that will hopefully never come our way. For everything else, there's Amazon.
Oh, and I stock up on fever meds and juice--I even have a box with soup, Tylenol and Pedialyte stashed in the linen closet. Yep, sometimes it really would be great to have a partner!
Post a Comment