Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Catching Up on Thanks

Today, November 13, 2012 I'm incredibly grateful that my little guy is such a great little traveler, thus far.  On our flights both ways he was so amazingly good.  He played, colored, read books to himself and then napped for a little over an hour on each flight.  I even spent the majority of both flights with my eyes closed dozing, only opening them to hand him a new item to entertain himself with.  Now, we did have a meltdown on each flight, but only lasting 1-2 minutes.  Once I figured out what he wanted he was golden.  So in 3 hours and 30 minutes we had 3 hours and 28 minutes of calm....I will take that.



Yesterday, November 12, 2012 I was ever so thankful for my cousin Marcus.  He is a quiet man, introspective and beyond thoughtful.  As we were driving to the Bronx Zoo on Sunday he was initially just going to drop us off and return home to watch some football and enjoy the quiet. (He had driven my mom, Tate, me and my Aunt Lynette upstate about 30 minutes away to see the mausoleum where my uncle's ashes are buried.  My mother had never been, nor had I and we wanted to go and pay our respects.  His wife had stayed home with their twins and was meeting us at the zoo.)  But as we drove into the parking lot of the zoo he decided to go with us...4 women with strong opinions and 3 3 year olds because as he put it "You don't know how much time you have on this earth, and family is important.  Uncle Jimmy's death taught me that."  Then yesterday he drove my mom, Tate, Lindsey and me into the city so we could spend some time there...about a 30 minute drive each way  He then returned in the late afternoon to pick us up in rush hour, turning a 30 minute drive home into a 2 hour fiasco.  And he never once complained, groused or yelled at the other drivers.  In addition he drove all the way into the city on Saturday to pick Tate and me up from my friend S's house and take us to the Bronx.  I had planned on hiring a car to take us; he insisted.  This man is amazing.  I wish Tate could spend more time with him.
Our Family!
Sunday, November 11, 2012 Marcus drove my mom, me, Tate and my Aunt Lynette upstate to see my uncle in his final resting place.  I was unable to go to his funeral, and my mother was unable to make it back for his initial placement in the mausoleum.  I am so very grateful that we had this chance to go visit my uncle Jimmy and say our final good-byes.

Saturday, November 10, 2012 I was grateful to live in this gorgeous state of Texas where getting around is so very easy.  Easy for me that is.  I just hop in my car and go.  Trying to finagle two 3 year olds into coats and strollers to go to the zoo was a feat for two single mamas by choice.    Then the cab ride which takes twice as long as it should in NYC traffic.  All. The. Time.  And the honking.  And the weaving in and out of cars.  The cursing.  The angry people on the streets.  I'm not saying there aren't angry people here in Texas, but it's just blatant and constant in NYC.  I'm spoiled by the convenience of my life here in Texas and very grateful I live here in Texas.
Friday, November 9, 2012 my mom, Lindsey, Aunt Lynette, Marcus, Tate and I went to the 9/11 World Trade Center Memorial.  They have also memorialized those who perished the Trade Center bombing in 1993.  In 1993, my uncle Jimmy was supposed to go down to the Social Security office housed in the trade center there.  For some reason he was running late.  That saved his life most likely as it was in the very building bombed.  I'm grateful he was slow that morning.  




Thursday, November 8, 2012 I was grateful for a safe trip to NYC with my mom, sister and son.  I was ever so thankful that Silke and I have reconnected after all these years in college where we were mere acquaintances and that our single mamahood has brought us together.  And that our sweet babies have so much fun together.  

2 comments:

Shannon said...

Sounds like a wonderful trip! And I love your cousin Marcus!

Laraf123 said...

I'm grateful you shared this wonderful trip with your readers! Boy, do I envy you having a fantastic traveling son. You won't find me near an airplane until my children are in middle school. (Still traumatized by our flight to Orlando 2 years ago!)