Tate has become quite the Mickey Mouse fan since being allowed to watch Mickey Mouse Clubhouse on Saturday mornings and some Sunday mornings. I am enjoying being able to snooze an extra 30 minutes while he relishes in his Mickey. I'm pretty proud of myself for going 27 months with no television programming for Tate except his Baby Signing Time DVDs which for some reason didn't bother me when we started those once a week at 18 months. Maybe it's because they were truly educational. Or maybe it's because they weren't/aren't commercialized characters. Maybe it's because I wasn't using them to entertain him while I did something else or needed him to be quiet. Or maybe it's just because I simply don't feel guilty.
In any event, he loves watching Mickey Mouse. He asks for it during the week as well, but I just tell him it's only for the weekends. Something I intend to do once he's older like a few friends do with their older children..no television on school nights. I anticipate that on special occasions...Christmas shows or the like I'll relent, but we'll see. I'm also certainly not going to say I'll never let him do it, because after only 28 months of parenting this little guy there is only one thing I'm certain I will never say in regards to parenting...NEVER. Each day I'm thrown for a loop and have to change my strategy or ideals when it comes to raising a child.
Mickey Mouse. Last night I decided to come up to our room to get ready for bed and finish watching my cheesy Hallmark station movie. Usually I can turn on the lights, turn the tv on and get ready for bed with nary a peep from Tate. And last night seemed no different until he turned over at 11pm, sat up, bumped his head, saw the tv on and said 'Oooh are we watching Mickey Mouse?' All in a 3 second time period. I jumped out of bed, turned the set off and plopped him into bed with me after telling him 'ummm no' He went right back to sleep and we had a real slumber party in my bed together.
Appropriately tonight he opened a Mickey Mouse Clubhouse Christmas book, this 6th day of Advent. He was a happy little guy.

2 comments:
There's a Mickey Mouse Clubhouse "Look and Find" oversized book that my boys love. We read it almost every night and often Liam asks for it first thing in the morning. (I've even resorted to hiding it for a few days, I'm sorry to say.) Tate might really enjoy it!
I love seeing his various jammies everyday. Very cute. Know that if I were to take a picture of us doing our LEGO advent calendar every morning, you would not see Sam in different jammies. More than likely you'd see him in one of two PJ sets or a combination of various pajamas with the shirt he wore to school that day.... covered with dinner from the night before. :)
Post a Comment