Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Monday, June 11, 2012

Weekend Interlude

Germany recap will be continued with the next post...


I finally feel like I'm catching up on my sleep.  Though I feel the beginnings of a cold and/or sinus infection which I seem to be keeping at bay with MucinexD, Advil and Zyrtec I feel 110% better than last week.  Thank goodness.


And Tate continues to amaze me each and every day.  From his funny little sayings to his grammatically correct sentences to his memory to his gross and fine motor skills...I thought the newness would have worn off by now!!  Thank goodness it hasn't!


And his sense of humor!!!  He cracks me up.  He'll give me a sidelong glance and wiggle those eyebrows.  Or he'll do something silly and look to me to laugh with him.  Such a funny guy!!!


So, Friday morning we had a lie in (Aunt Lindsey HATES when I say that since I'm not British!) til about 7.  What that means is I am still sleeping in the spare bedroom on the first floor, while he sleeps on the 3rd floor in my room...still in his crib, very happily.  I heard him awaken around 6:15, but I didn't go upstairs until 6:45.  Of course this means he will have peed and/or pooped in his diaper.  And he apparently didn't like that so much, so he took off his diaper and pajama bottoms to air out.  Thankfully we had one more layer of sheets/waterproof mattress pads under this layer.  Easy off to the wash!


After breakfast we headed off to swim lessons.  It's the first lesson of the new session.  Ms. V seems to be moving him right along.  He didn't do so great with his back float today, but I believe that's because she is making him flip over to his stomach to actually 'swim' halfway through the back floating.  He flails about with that, so it's making him leery of the back float.  But I believe she'll have him swimming, though maybe not like the likes of Michael Phelps, but swimming at the end of the summer.


I took him to daycare (where they have a new director...hopefully breathing some new life into the program!), and I headed off to a blissful 90 minute massage at The Motherhood Center.  I love love love this place.  I did all my prenatal classes there, I did my amazing yoga classes there 1-2 times a week, and I enjoyed pre-natal massages there at least every other week once I was past 20 weeks and my initial modified bedrest.  We've continued going there as a family;  we do Tate's Music Together class there which we started attending when he 5 1/2 months old with a hiatus from month 22 - 34 when we started again.  I opted to do Gymboree classes during that period (which he loved!!).  


I came home and cleaned up a bit then picked up the little guy around 3:30.  


Saturday found us at the music class then we headed over to The Mad Potter to meet up with Katherine to say good-bye before she leaves for Ottawa this week.  Alex and his dad went to the water park, so Katherine's grandmother, my MomAnn, was treating Katherine to some pottery making.  (Susan was out of town with friends).  


Let me tell you...Tate was in heaven.  He loves him some Katherine :)  It is so sweet to watch him follow her around everywhere.  And he had a blast painting.  After they finished their projects, we headed next door for some lunch.  We then went back to Katherine's grandparents' house for a bit more playtime.  So much fun.




And even funnier....MomAnn told Katherine to 'show Aunt Jennifer how you can count to 100 by 5s' which she proceeded to do.  Tate was at Katherine's feet playing with some toy.  As soon as Katherine uttered 100, Tate proceeded to recite his ABCs with no prompting.  Apparently, he was not going to be 'shone up' by another kid.  Sibling rivalry?  And they're not even siblings?  Competition at 2 3/4 :)  So very cute.


We left and Tate napped in the car on the way to my parents'.  We went there to spend the afternoon and night (I like to stay there when I'm on call so that I can leave Tate with them if I need to go in, though I've taken him with me many times when I've had to go in).  As always, Tate had a blast with his grandmommy and papa.  My dad also celebrated his 72nd birthday the Wednesday before, so we brought our gifts.  


Sunday we lazed about my parents' and grocery shopped.  Then we packed up and headed to one of Tate's classmate's 3rd birthday party.  Tate had an absolute blast.  He swam, bounced in the bounce house, ate his egg-free cake, had his first swing at his first ever pinata and played with his 2BFFs Leo the birthday boy and Christian from his school.  Tate adores Leo apparently and followed him around like his second in command.  Whenever Leo had to go potty, Tate had to go potty, whenever Leo sat down to eat, Tate who had said "NO!" to me about eating ran over to join Leo and asked for a plate.  A great time was had by all the kiddos, and I had a nice time myself.


Three little stooges :)
And they let Ali play with them too!  She's a cool chick!
Getting ready!

A bit unsure!

Some help from Leo's dad!!! 

SO.
MUCH. 
FUN!!! 
Gathering their loot! 
Look what I got Ma!
Tate filled his little bag with the laffy taffy and I quickly confiscated said bag while at the party when he was distracted AGAIN! by the train table.  I threw everything away as soon as we were home, and he has not asked once for any of the candy.  How long can that last?

We were home by 5 and Tate picked at his dinner and was in his crib by 7:40.  He fussed and whined in the crib for about 40 minutes which shocked me.  Out in the hot hot sun all day (about 98 degrees), a nap of at most one hour and he still was standing in the crib muttering over and over "Mommy Mommy Mommy".  But I let him figure it out and he was asleep by 8:30.


Like this....



And in other Tate news....

He's been sleeping until at least 6 and actually just a few minutes past since we returned from Germany.  I hope this trend continues.  I'm still sleeping downstairs, but hope to venture back to my bed once this is ingrained in his head!!!

Now the only thing is, Tate tends to poop right around 6, so I'm pretty sure this is why he wakes up.  It's just his body.  It's not all the time, but I'd say it's a good 75% of the time.  Sigh.

Now here's the worst part....I bet if I got up around 5:30 and woke him up a bit I could take him to the potty and let him pee/poop there.  But I would rather sleep.  And I have no problem putting him in an overnight diaper and just changing him in the morning.  How horrible is that?  But I want my sleep!!!

He's gotten a bit more sensitive in the past 3-4 weeks.  He seems to get his feelings hurt really easy, and it's a different type of cry because his face becomes so very incredibly sad and he wants to cry and be held.  Whenever I get upset or try to verbally discipline him he scrunches up his face, cries and wants to be held.  Sigh.

On the other end of the spectrum is his oppositionalism.  (is that a word?)  I'll say "Do you want to play with your trains?"  NO!  "Do you want to go outside?" NO!  "Let's go read your favorite book!" NO!

And then we do all these things happily.

Seriously kid?

So oppositional.  Ugh.

He's been really sad at daycare dropoff.  It was everyday the first week back from Germany...the big sad tears, the silent shaking and hanging onto me for dear life.  Only happened twice last week and again this morning.  I was almost in tears a couple of times that first week back.  Sucks.

On the happy side!  Apparently, being able to do 24 piece puzzles might be a huge deal.  I didn't think it was because it was so easy for him to do them.  I got him his first 24 piece puzzles in mid-March, so he was 2y8m old and he put them together with no help from me right out of the box.  And they were not the kind where you put the pieces on the 'picture'.  Nope he did these on the floor!!!

He can count to 20 and has been doing so since mid April!  He can recognize his written name, as well as the written names of all his favorite trains.  Sometimes he can tell you what letter a word starts with, but it is a bit hit and miss.

He'll say please and thank you 75% of the time on his own without being prompted.  When he wants to get by you or runs into you he'll say 'Excuse me' or 'I'm sorry.'  He says 'I'm sorry' alot to the extent that I worry he's apologizing too much.

I do also worry because he is such a follower...ie with Katherine or Leo or his cousin Scotty.  He seems to be having the tendency to be the people pleaser his mama is.  I don't want him to be a little dictator, but I want him to take the initiative and be followed just as much.  How to instill this in my child?  I wonder if he's like this during the day at school.  I'll be sure to ask his teacher.

He's quick to give hugs and kisses when asked and blows kisses to say good-bye almost whenever asked.  He's a very sweet, lovable, rather even-keeled child.

This little boy of mine.  So blessed that God has entrusted me with this precious son of mine.

No comments: