Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Pretty

Tate asked for a princess band-aid for a couple of his boo-boos tonight.  And yes, we have princess band-aids.  And yes, he's a boy.  Move on.  We saw the Disney On Ice Dare to Dream Princess show and then spent a weekend with Miss Olivia, queen of all things Princess all within one month of each other.  He still LOVES his trains!

Anyway, I obliged and brought him two band-aids.  One had Cinderella and Belle on it and one had Princess Jasmine on it.  This image in fact....

He asked that the women be identified as the band-aids went on.  I pointed out Cinderella and Belle on the first one.  Then I told him the name of the princess on the second band-aid....Jasmine. 

He responded with "She's pretty."  And gazed at her.  "She's pretty Mommy." 

Wow.  I was so surprised.  I had no idea he knew what 'pretty' was.  He's not even 3.  He found her pretty.  

Of course, me being as vain as I am responded with "Is Mommy pretty?"  To which my extremely intelligent son replied very seriously "Yes!"

I then asked him if he was pretty.  He smiled and said "Noooooo."  

And we went on about our going to bed business.

But I'm still a bit shocked.  "She's pretty."  I do know that at his school one of the ideas they've worked on this year has been the identification of who is a boy and who is a girl.  (And I know this gender assignation annoys some people greatly, but it doesn't bother me at all.  I embrace it.)  But I can't imagine they have taught the kids pretty vs not pretty; ok let's say it, pretty vs ugly.  

I love this watching my child grow up business.  I love seeing and hearing and witnessing all that he is learning and assimilating.  

Oh and I must say that I'm beyond thrilled that he chose to find Jasmine pretty.  Olive complected Jasmine with her dark hair and brown eyes as opposed to blonde, blue-eyed Cinderella or pale Belle.  

That's my sweet boy!!!

Already an eye for the girls, especially Princess girls!!


No comments: