Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Tate Meets His Godfather!!!

Friday, September 16th, Tate and I flew off to Atlanta, Georgia to meet his godfather, my dear friend from college, Roland.  Roland missed his baptism because his brother-in-law had a heart attack the day before he was supposed to fly over here for the ceremony. 


Roland and I met our freshman year of college at Southwestern University.  We were both science majors and spent many hours in lab over the course of 4 years.  However, I wouldn't say we were particularly close; certainly we were way more than acquaintances and studied together quite a bit, but as far as someone I would sit down and just hang out with, not so much.


We did have one very special mutual friend.  Jaysn Jameson.  Jaysn was a Pike, and I was Pike little sister, and he chose me to be his big sister (Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity).  Oh and I am also an ADPi (Alpha Delta Pi sorority!) :)  Roland had rushed Jaysn hard to become a Phi Delt, but Jaysn knew better and pledged Pike.  They remained close friends throughout our time at SU. 


Once we graduated, the year before Jaysn, Roland and I spent some time hanging out, but again not frequently.  We were both in Houston.  Once Jaysn graduated he moved to Freeport and started scuba diving.  In October 1991, Jaysn was on a dive with a friend and was caught in a severe undertow that pulled them too far from their dive boat.  They were found the following morning by the Coast Guard, but Jaysn had passed away overnight from exposure.


When I returned home from work that Thursday evening of Jaysn's death I had 6 messages on my answering machine.  Two from my father, one from Jaysn's girlfriend, one from another dear friend and 2 from Roland all begging me to call as soon as I got the message.  With a sinking heart, I knew something had happened to my dear Jaysn. I just had to decide who to have tell me.


I chose Roland.


From that day forward he has become the brother I always wanted.  He makes me laugh, he keeps me in check, he supports me, he lets me know when he thinks I'm making bad decisions, he loves my family,  my family loves him, his parents are fabulous (in fact they met Tate when he was about 6 months old!!  Before Roland did!!).  His wife has been so welcoming to me in allowing us to continue our friendship.  They have 2 beautiful children, and I've been traveling to visit them over the years since Roland moved away, met Sharon and had the kids.  It's a wonderful friendship.


So, when it came to choosing a godfather for Tate, it was something I didn't have to even think about.  There would be noone else but Roland.


We've been trying to plan a trip this past year, and this weekend was perfect as I had both Monday and Friday off.  So Tate and I packed, ok I packed, our bags to fly off to Georgia!  My parents drove us to the airport on Friday morning (they are so amazing!!!!)  Kisses were given, hugs all around, and Tate and I headed into the airport!  Just me and my little guy!!


Security was a breeze; shoes off, hippo/pacifier through scanner, Tate walked through to the TSA agent on his own and we got our stuff back with no problems.  We even wheeled our HEAVY Sunshine carseat through the airport with him strapped in...he thought that it was super cool to be in his carseat on the floor while it was wheeled around!!!


Lunch on the plane
We did some plane watching and a bit of running around.  Once we got on the teeny tiny plane I got the carseat in place (that is WORK!) and Tate situated.  I gave him his lunch while we sat at the gate..his favorite...chicken nuggets.  Then lo and behold he fell asleep as we waited to take off!!!!  Needless to say I nodded on and off while he slept.  I had planned it this way as we took off right before his naptime, but I was really worried he might not sleep.  And I'm super excited he didn't get motion sickness on either flight, going or coming.  I did however give him the benadryl as recommended by my ped to prevent vomiting due to air sickness.  


He woke up for about the last 30 minutes of the flight, but was in a really good mood!  We got off the plane last with minimal difficulty with the aforementioned monstrosity of a carseat :).  


Atlanta's International Airport is the busiest airport in the world.  And it's huge.  But Tate and I maneuvered with ease, changing his diaper once we landed, getting situated in the carseat on the Go-Go BabyZ and riding the train to the main terminal.
On the airport train!




And there was Uncle Roland to pick us up!!!  Yay!!


We got our luggage and stroller from baggage claim, and we were off!!  The weather was just fabulous.  Coming from temps over 100 STILL, the low 80s were a welcome respite.  We got everything loaded in the car, Tate strapped into his carseat and we were on our way.  


It had been planned that we would be going to Ian's (4 year old) t-ball game, but Sharon called as we were driving home to say he had a fever of 102, so that was going to be a no go.  And I cringed inwardly.  Fever of 102...just what I need to expose Tate to....a sick kid.  But what do you do?  I said a silent prayer that Ian would feel better quickly and that Tate would be so shy at first per his normal that he wouldn't really be that close to Ian this first evening.


We got to their lovely home and Sharon and Ava (7 year old) came out to greet us.  Hugs all around and our weekend began.  Ava was thrilled to play little mommy!
Hanging with Mama Ava!!!




It's always difficult for others to truly understand Tate's allergies.  I think people just don't think it could really be that big of a deal until they see how he has reacted in person or in pictures.  Sharon had graciously picked up some food items for us, so we were set for a few things.  The kids had dinner together and had a blast.  Tate surprised me and just took right to Ian and Ava!!  He was in heaven to have other kids around.  And he fell in love with their beautiful labs...Abby and Max.  He spent the weekend hugging both dogs and loving them!!






Tate does always have an extremely difficult time going to sleep the first time he is in a new place.  In addition Roland and Sharon had a toddler bed for him to sleep in as opposed to a pack 'n' play.  I really didn't anticipate that he would stay in a toddler bed much less fall asleep in it on his own.  We went upstairs around 7 to get ready for bed and do as much of our normal routine as possible, though this was a late start for him.  (I was also exhausted after a long day of travel).  He would not settle down.  We read stories, we rocked, we laid down together, I got frustrated, he got more antsy and it went on and on.  Finally, I texted Roland downstairs that he and Sharon should just go on to sleep because I was getting nowhere with Tate.  Finally, finally around 920pm he fell asleep in my arms laying on the bed.  I gingerly moved him to the toddler bed and he woke immediately.  I ended up putting him in bed with me and oh my it was a very long night.  He tossed and turned and kicked and poked me all night long.  In addition the bed was quite high and a double bed.  I was beyond worried he would fall out the entire night; in fact at one point I woke to him headed off the bed, thankfully feet first.  So, I was up every hour with him trying to get comfortable and worried sick he was going to get hurt.


615 am came very early Saturday morning.  Tate woke like he had slept for 12 long, peaceful, rejuvenating hours.  Me not so much.


We played in our room for a bit until a little tow haired girl came wandering in to play around 7am.  Ian was not far behind!  Our day began.  The kids had breakfast and played outside on the fabulous swingset Tate had been initiated into the night before.  The dogs were happy to have the company!  Later on, Sharon, Ava and Roland took the puppies for a walk, while I stayed behind with the boys.  Ian seemed no worse for the wear after his fever, so I let Tate join him in his parents' bed for a few minutes while Ian watched some little television program that Tate had no real interest in.  They were beyond cute together.

Later that morning Roland and I loaded up the kids and headed to a little art festival in downtown Roswell while Sharon finished packing to head off to Germany in the early afternoon for work.  The trip came up a few weeks after we planned my visit, and she was unable to get out of it :(.  We wandered around the festival, and after having some lunch, Tate was asleep in his stroller!!!  Yay!!  Sharon joined us for about an hour then she left for the airport.  Again, she is amazing and so generous to allow me to be part of her family.  I am very lucky Roland chose her to be his wife!!  She seems to really understand how important he is to me, this brother of mine I always wanted!

Ian and Ava played a bit longer;  Tate woke after about an hour and the kids made sand art, then we were off to the house.  The afternoon was just gorgeous, so the kids played outside for quite some time.  We then moved the festivities into the house to their basement which was almost like mecca for Tate.  The kids ran around and around and around...a fabulous time!  After dinner I took Tate upstairs at his normal time to start his bedtime routine.  We did bathtime, books, prayers and rocking just like here at home.  I rocked him a bit longer with the hopes that he would get really sleepy and I could put him in the toddler bed.  He had a bit of a time settling again, but this time I put him in the toddler bed awake, kissed him and told him good-night.  I turned on his sound machine and monitor and left the room around 715pm.  I tiptoed downstairs to eat some dinner with Roland whose kids were giving him a bit of a rough time.  Overtiredness had set in especially for little Ian.   

Not a peep did I hear from Tate.  Nothing.  Nada.  Zilch.  

I couldn't believe it.  About 20 minutes later I tiptoed back upstairs and looked in on him.  This is what I saw...
Success!!
Sound asleep!!  He went to sleep on his own in this cute little bed!!  I was soooo excited, yet cautiously optimistic that he would make it the entire night in there on his own!


I went back downstairs to finish dinner and within 45 minutes I told Roland I was just exhausted and that I hoped he wouldn't mind if I just went on to bed.  He completely understood and I was in bed at 830pm!!  Life is good!!!


Sunday morning Tate climbed out of his little bed and onto my bed around 545.  A little early, but I was so well rested!!!  That is the best part of going on vacation...I have no chores I need to do at night, so an early night is always possible!!  Love it!


After breakfast, we loaded the kids up again and we headed to the Georgia Aquarium.  


This. Place. Is. Amazing.  If you're in Atlanta you must go to this aquarium. It is fabulous!!    We were there right when it opened at 10am.  I enjoyed it just as much as the kids did!!  And to add to my joy Tate fell asleep for his nap around noon and slept until about 115!!  We all had a great great time!!




Petting the sting rays!





We then ventured to lunch at the always yummy Johnny Rockets.  After I made sure there was some egg free fare we found a table and the kids had a blast with their ketchup characters!! (our waiter was great with the kids)  Tate had his other favorite food...French Fries!!!  This after I inquired to be sure he could have a grilled chicken breast made he could eat.  He didn't touch it!  But he did discover ketchup!!  He had never had it before.  I think he has a new favorite food!!  (ketchup IS a food, isn't it?)
 



























We headed home to just enjoy hanging out.  Roland ran some errands while I stayed home with the kids.   Ian napped, and Ava and Tate played in the backyard.



After playtime inside and out (in the festive basement) we got the kiddos ready for bed.  Once again Tate did awesome and went to sleep by himself in the toddler bed after some books and rocking by Mommy! I was so proud of him, though I have no intention of converting his crib to a toddler bed until he tries to climb out of the crib...I like him being safe (and contained!)


Monday morning Tate and I were up and ready to be picked up by our car service at 630am.  Roland had to take the kids to school and get to work, so we were more than happy to let him have the time he needed to get all that new week stuff started.  We got to the airport with plenty of time to spare.  And once again Tate slept most of the way!!   This time as we landed he did look at me and say 'Ears Mama! Ears!'  But that was it; he didn't cry about it, and he moved on quickly to looking out the window.  Grandmommy and Papa picked us up and we were home by 11am;  plenty of time to enjoy the rest of our day!  Aunt Lindsey even came by that evening after work to welcome us home!


We had just a great, relaxing time in Atlanta.  Tate did amazingly well, minimal fussing and very few tears.  He just adored Ava, Ian and the puppies as well as his Uncle Roland and Aunt Sharon.  I'm so very thrilled that everything went so well.  It had been 4 years since I've seen them, and I've missed them, missed Roland and his funny quirks, his kidding around with me, his self-assuredness...his friendship in person.  He calls me every couple of weeks to check in, but it's not the same.  I'm so grateful we could spend some time in the same place.


This visit also solidified my choice to have Roland and Sharon as secondary guardians for Tate with my parents/Lindsey as my primary choice.  Obviously I'm keenly aware that life would be much different for Tate living in another state with non-family members and I pray this never happens, but if it did he will be well cared for and loved.  And though Roland is overwhelmed a bit when he has the kids on his own, he does it and does it well.   He reminds me a bit of myself when the kids are getting on his last nerve!!  :)  Single parenting is hard!!  But he loves his children; he loves his wife.  He's amazing with his mother and father who are just as kind and generous as he is.  And my parents love Roland as well.  He's one of the few friends I know that they truly care for and enjoy spending time with.  And though I fully realize noone will ever parent my child the way I would, I know he will be safe, cared for, educated, loved and happy .  Maybe not as happy as he would be with me, and my fervent prayer is that we never have to find this out.  I intend to be here for this little boy until he has children of his own for me to spoil!  Until then, I intend to make several more jaunts to Atlanta for him to hang with his Uncle Roland (and have them over here!  :)
Cuddles with Uncle Roland!

2 comments:

Laraf123 said...

It is a HUGE deal to pick guardians for your child when you are an SMC. I'm so glad you have Roland and his family. Not just as secondary guardians but as members of your extended family. Tate did great on his long weekend! And yes, I totally get the "no chores" early night comment!

Mer said...

I'm glad you had a fun trip!! (It's funny, I'll be in Roswell next week and S was at that art festival - he was telling me about a painting he chose.) That's so great that you've been able to maintain such a close friendship at a distance and with a spouse. A lot of times that just doesn't work. Hope y'all are all settled back in your routine - sometimes I think we need the days off most for when we get back!! Hard to face the reality of the schedule.