Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Playing with the Big Kids

Tate and I came over to my parents' yesterday afternoon after his nap to spend a couple of nights.  I'm on call this weekend, and it's difficult to take him in with me, though I have done it a few times out of necessity.  Single moms have to do what they have to do.  Sometimes  that means bringing their kids to work with them!  The parents of the children I have seen have all understood.  


In any event, we're at my parents.  Tate had a hard night and ended up in bed with me around 945.  Yes, ended up in bed with ME who was already in bed!!  Woohoo!!  I had crawled into bed around 935.  Certainly, I may be the reason he woke up, but he sleeps lightly the first night or so in a new place.  Although Grandmommy and Papa's place isn't new he sometimes has difficulty.  Combined with the fact that he is very congested these days with a cough he sleeps even lighter.  So I just put him in bed with me.  Ugh.  He tossed and turned ALL night long.  I was awakened almost every 2 hours with either a hand slapping my face, a foot kicking me in the back or some sweet baby's hair tickling my nose.  550am came awfully early, but we've had a pretty good day.


We ran out for a Target run while the grandparents went to church.  Yes, yes we should have gone with them, but, well no buts.  We simply didn't.  I need to get Tate back into the habit of attending church.  I miss it, and I definitely want him to have the relationship I have with our Lord, so it's back to our church we shall go.  


The weather here was amazing today!!  Finally, a cold front!!  Ok a Texas cold front!!  The temps today didn't get over 95.  It was in the low 80s this morning, so we walked to the neighborhood park here and played for about 45 minutes.  Tate had a blast throwing rocks, riding the slide and most of all having me push him in the swing...his favorite outdoor pasttime.
Please don't look at the mismatched outfit...
these were the only play clothes at my parents'!!!

After Tate's nap today we headed over to my best friend's parents' house for an afternoon gathering.  They were celebrating their family's August birthdays as well as hosting several family members in from out of town.  I have always been treated like one of the family, and now they have wrapped Tate in their cocoon of love as well.  

This is the first time I have left Tate alone with older kids to play on his own.  Susan, my best friend's kids are 8 (boy) and 5 (girl), there was a 4 year boy and a 7 year old girl.  Tate obviously knows Susan's kids but not the other two.  Susan and I spent some time in the awesome playroom that's set up there for the grandchildren.  Tate is always sweetly shy around new people even kids and will not utter a word!   He gingerly looked through all the toys to see what offerings he might enjoy, showing me each one.  After about 15 minutes I left the room, meandering back every few minutes to check on him, sitting down a couple of times to play with him and the others.  He did so well...never a tear.  He then came into his own.  Though he never spoke to anyone, save me, he ran around looking for chips (his favorite party treat) and asking for help from whoever would give him one, well two...one for each hand!  And by asking I mean looking pathetic and trying to reach the bowl.  He found Susan's Aunt Karen was more than happy to oblige and she became his go to woman.  

I gave him his plate of food from home for dinner (his lunch he didn't touch) and he ate most of it left alone with the other kids in the playroom.  I was so proud of him.  Upon leaving everyone commented on how well behaved he is and of course how very cute he is :)

This parenting thing is fun I've decided.  It is rife with ups and downs, but it's so much fun.  I love having him in my life and being able to share him with others.    And I so enjoy watching him come into his own.  He had an absolute blast playing with the big kids!  What a sweetheart!!!



1 comment:

Shannon said...

He looks taller in every single picture you post! I'm glad you had a weekend together that helped recharge your batteries - it sounds like you needed it!