Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Dr. Maya Angelou AKA Aunt Lindsey did Tate's Bedtime Routine

Tonight Dr. Maya Angelou was in Houston for the Brilliant Lecture Series.  I got fabulous tickets for my parents and myself.  Our conversation with Maya Angelou started at 7pm.


7pm.  We had to be there at 7pm.  The conversation was set to begin at 7pm.


I'm usually rocking a sweet little boy named Tate after reading some bedtime stories at 7pm.


For the third time in his life someone else put Tate to bed for me.  And this time I was only able to spend about 5 minutes with my little guy after work.  My parents picked him for me (there was no reason for them to do so other than the fact that they LOVE being with their grandson) and took him to the park for a bit.  My sister, Lindsey came over to my place straight from work and according to my mother, told her "I've got Tate taken care of".  Lindsey loves her some Baby Tate, and I love her for it more than I did before he came into our lives if it's possible to love more. She got him dinner, set up the computer so he could watch his videos of himself and when I got home from work she was sitting beside him while he finished up his yogurt.


I had 30 minutes to change, put on some make-up and do my hair.  Tate barely acknowledged my presence when I got home so at ease was he with his grandparents and his favorite aunt.  By the time I was running back up the stairs with his hippo lovey which he had left in the car this morning, he was playing in the bathtub with Aunt Lindsey.  


I showed him where his hippo was in 'his place' by the tub and ran back down the stairs and off I went with my parents to St. Paul's Church.


I didn't say good-night to Tate.


I didn't say good-bye to Tate.


I didn't give a kiss to Tate.


I didn't say 'I love you' to Tate.


But I didn't even realize any of that until I was sitting in the church waiting for Dr. Angelou to come out.  I texted Lindsey to see how they were doing and she told me he was laying down in bed going to sleep already...this was around 710pm.


However, after she got him ready for bed, brushed his teeth and read him his stories, she got ready to rock him a bit before putting him in the crib.  She texted me that he looked around and asked for me.  That he got weepy and sad when he realized I wasn't there.  She said they 'hugged it out' and he was fine.  But it made my heart break.


I didn't tell him good-night.


I didn't tell him how much I love him.


I just ran out of the house.


As soon as I got home I ran upstairs to our room and just stroked his beautiful curls and whispered how much I love him.


I felt like a terrible mother.


He is the light of my life, how did I leave the house without assuring him I would be back?  


This little light of mine.  I know he knows I love him.  I know.  Tomorrow morning I'll hold him tighter and longer when he wakes up.  This little light of mine.


This little light of mine...that's how Dr. Angelou began her conversation with us tonight.  She says she wants her life to shine and be one of light and love for all those she meets.


I hope to carry some of her example with me as I continue this journey called life.  And I'm so blessed to have a little light walking around with me on this planet now.  My sweet Tate.  He certainly brings light to my life;  he truly lets his life shine.  The light of a child;  nothing is more precious.   Light and love.


Thank you Dr. Angelou for a evening full of light and love.



No comments: