Tate loved last night's book 'The Story of Christmas'. It was a rendition of the Gospel of Luke's telling of the story of Jesus' birth. It also included a puzzle on each of the four pages...made his night! On the second page the illustration shows a very pregnant Mary riding a donkey to Bethlehem. I showed Tate that Jesus was in Mary's belly just like he was before he was born. He didn't quite believe me, that he was ever in my belly that is. That's when I realized that I don't think I've ever told Tate that he used to be in my belly. Not ever. And I want him to know this. I want him to know how he came to be. So I just told him that yes he used to be in my tummy just like Jesus was in Mary's belly. In typical 3 year old fashion he simply moved on to the next page and the next puzzle.
Tonight as he settled into the chair to gaze upon his book selections he was toying his hippo lovey and said to me across the room "I want to be a baby again. I need a pacifier." My heart melted and I felt that same longing that he did...I miss him being a baby too. I told him I could still hold him like a baby, though he couldn't be a baby and that I didn't have any more pacifiers (though if I had had one I think I just may have given him one and gathered him up in my arms!). He said ok and happily let me hold him in my arms just for a second before handing me last night's book to read again BEFORE opening a book tonight! :) He was thrilled to redo the puzzles, and made mention of Jesus being in Mary's tummy. Then when I asked if he wanted to open a book or brush his teeth first he chose to brush his teeth! I've taught him so well! :)
Then he was ready to choose his book. Let me just say this...my God is an amazing God. He knows exactly what He is doing.
Tate chose 'If I Could Keep You Little' by Marianne Richmond.
What better book for two people melancholy about the idea of growing up tonight. And I love Marianne Richmond's books. The words are always beautiful and poetic. The illustrations are lovely and whimsical. I always feel peaceful and content reading her books, and Tate seems to really enjoy them as well. They are longer than most children's books and they are rich in meaning and prose, but they touch my heart and obviously my baby's heart. This book was no different. He asked me to read it twice.
The second time I personalized the story and began each page with "If I could keep you little, Tate..."
We cuddled up in my bed after I finished reading that book and another book of hers called "You Are My Wish Come True". And Tate chose that one tonight as well...we've read it a few times before, but quite some time ago. This book is about a mama bear and her son Barley. She explains how she wished and wished for him and how he is her wish come true. She tells me his whole birth story from when she decided she wanted a baby to the day she gave birth to him. And...the story only includes the mommy and the baby. It's the perfect book for Christian Single Mothers by Choice. It's absolutely beautiful. It's lengthy, but Tate sits for the whole story, and I love sharing it with him. And I think it's high time I started sharing his story, how he is my wish come true.

2 comments:
sounds beautiful!
time to get out the pregnancy pics! i bet he will love them. i put some in my "Amazing Story of Calliope Sage" because it's hard for ME to believe she was ever in my belly, never mind for her!
From your blog, straight to my cart on Amazon. Thanks for sharing these books! Can't wait to read them with my "babies".
Post a Comment