Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

The Polar Express


Believe.  

That's the theme from the Polar Express.

Believe.

If you believe you'll always hear the bell ring.

I hear that bell every single day because I believe in the magic of Santa Claus.  In the magic of Christmas.  In the magic of the Virgin Birth.

We had a really fantastic time on our Polar Express ride to the North Pole.  Tate has been looking forward to this for weeks, as I was constantly reminding him that soon we were going to ride the Polar Express with Alonzo and Aunt Palmi.  Finally the big day arrived.

Friday Tate and I were up with the sun per our usual.  After a leisurely breakfast and last minute packing we headed out to his 8:30 appointment to get his haircut.  As is his usual Tate was great for Mr. Kirk and his haircut.  I've lost count of how many times he's had his haircut now!  We then headed over for his swim lessons at 9:30.  Again he was great!!  And his teacher took him out to the deep end!!  He was awesome and swam to her for several feet doing his version of the freestyle and the back float.  No fear in this little guy.

We got him changed and ran to Walgreens to pick up a couple of things.  Now this child of mine who has never, ever had a tantrum in a store because I told him no he couldn't have something LOST HIS MIND on Friday when I wouldn't buy him some train Christmas ornament.  Screamed, cried, refused to leave the aisle.  I refused to give in to his demands, and I refused to not get the items I needed.  So while he acted like an abandoned child I calmed paid for my purchases.  I then picked him up, and we got on our way.  Once home he calmed down and got a bath and ready for Alonzo to arrive.  By noon Palmi and Alonzo were there, and we were off.  The kids ate nuggets I had prepared in the car and settled in for the 2 hour and 45 minute ride to the Polar Express in Palestine, Texas!  Tate napped as requested by me and we arrived at our hotel.  We checked in, got a bit settled and we all changed in our Christmas pajamas!!  The boys were beside themselves with excitement.  It was absolutely beautiful to watch them together.  Tate thinks Alonzo hung the moon, and Alonzo is the most giving, loving, beautiful little boy.  He took Tate under his wing and took care of him, like a fantastic big brother.  I would look up and Alonzo would have an arm around Tate's shoulders guiding him one way or the other, or hugging on sweet Tate. Tate listened to anything Alonzo said and was in awe of this sweet little boy.  Here they are ready to go at the hotel!




In the hotel lobby!
We were off!  We got to the station and got our 'golden' tickets.  We wandered the grounds of the station, taking pictures and letting the kids revel in the trains around them.








There's a train Mom!!


Alonzo corralling Tate! 




Tate says "Come on Alonzo, let's board the Polar Express!"
Tate insisted that this man, an engineer, needed to stamp his ticket!
All aboard!!
And our adventure began as we headed north to the North Pole!

We were seated at our table with our white 'linens' which the boys destroyed quickly with their newly purchased trains racing them back and forth across the linens.  Then our 'chef' and 'porter' started singing a song...Tate was enthralled.  Everyone in the car started clapping and singing!!
















Next up...the serving of the hot cocoa and a chocolate cookie (I had bought a couple of cookies from Whole Foods for Tate, and the 'chef' was more than happy to give it to him when she brought out everyone else's so he would have the same napkin and experience!  Tate thought the hot chocolate was the best thing ever.






 Then the conductor came by and stamped their golden tickets!!
As we drank our hot cocoa, all of a sudden we heard the story 'The Polar Express' being read to us over the loud speaker.  The chef walked up and down the aisle with a copy of the book, turning the pages as she strolled by each table.  So very cute!

Then Christmas carols began!  Everyone sang along!  It was just so very festive!!

And then we started getting closer and and closer to the North Pole.  It was getting colder and colder.  You could feel the anticipation in the train car.  The kids were full of happiness, joy and anticipation.

And then we were there...The North Pole...


Saying good-bye to the North Pole
As we bid farewell to the elves at the North Pole, we were thrilled to realize that Santa Claus was on our train!!!  He walked up and down the aisle signing everyone's golden ticket and leaving a sleigh bell with each child.  The ringing of the bells could be heard up and down the aisle, throughout the train car, by all the children and adults alike.
There he is!!!

Holding his ticket in anticipation for Santa!
Alonzo greets Mr. C as he signed his name on the tickets!



Tate and Mr. C!
We then made our way back 'home.'  More Christmas carols were sang and absolute joy was felt throughout the cabin!  (And we got some great pictures with our kiddos)


Mommys and their sweet sons

Holding onto that signed golden ticket.
He wasn't too keen on the bell.
Someday he'll understand!




( If you look behind us in the previous pictures you can see our 'chef' enjoying the Christmas carols complete with a dance!!!)

We arrived back at the station about an hour after we'd left.  We made our way back to the hotel after picking up some food.  We got the boys fed some dinner, some wine and food into Palmi and me and then Tate and I headed off to our room.  He was sound asleep by 8:30...a little late, all wound up with excitement.







We were tired, happy and full of love.  I've always thought it to be a cliche that watching your child have an experience could bring you joy.  I'm here to say it's absolutely true.  Watching Tate's face light up with that innocent wonder and joy brought tears to my eyes.  His happiness, excitement, beauty in the absolute amazement of all that surrounded him made the 3 hour drive each way totally worth it.  These moments in time for him were the best Christmas present I could have received.

Saturday morning Tate was up at 5:30!!  Not surprising since he went to bed so late...which always gives him an earlier wake-up.  Still.  But he was happy, happy.  He ate some breakfast in our room and then was clamoring to see Alonzo.  They were awake around 7 and I couldn't keep Tate out of their room.  We packed up and headed downstairs to check out and make our way back to Houston.  We ate breakfast downstairs (Tate nibbled on yet more Cheerios as of course he was starving haven eaten at 5:45! and it was now 8:30!!)  Then the boys got on the floor to do their favorite thing...play with trains.

The fact that I could share this with one of my oldest and dearest friends made me happier than I thought possible.  Palmi and I met the first day of college, on my birthday, August 25, 1985.  27 1/2 years of friendship.  We both ended up being dentists...we spent more time in Science labs together, studying late at night, cramming for Chem and Bio than either of us would care to remember.

Ups and downs. First loves and last loves.  Talking every day and talking every other month.  She is one of my few forever friends.
25 years ago....

On the Polar Express...


Palmi and I have shared college life, dental school life, single gal life!
Now we get to share our greatest joy....mommy life!

3 comments:

Palmi said...

I loved the whole thing! You are an amazing mommy!!! Tate is as lucky to have you As you are to have him! So many beautiful memories you create for him! You are truly one of my dearest friends and...yes, I am so thrilled that we could be part of your first Polar Express ride!!! Thanks for being you and loving us!!! Alonzo still does not stop talking about Tate!! Wants to go every day !!

Tiara said...

What an awesome experience!

Abby said...

Oh, that looks amazing! What an incredible memory for Tate.

I agree with Palmi -- you are an awesome Mommy!