Friday Tate went to his swim lessons; thus far it's just been him in his lesson as opposed to the normal 4 kids. She works him too...you think he'd nap after 30 minutes in the pool getting worked out, but nope. I dropped him at daycare, so I could have lunch with my accountant and run a couple of errands. In his new class they watch movies on Fridays at naptime, and the kids who want to nap do and those who don't want to nap watch. I don't watch him watching movies especially since I don't know what will be shown and I find most movies appropriate for 5 year olds way inappropriate for 3 year olds. Plus Tate has never seen a movie! So I've asked that he be allowed to go nap/rest in his previous classroom; he loves Ms. Joanne, so it seems like a good solution. His daycare staff just don't get it though. They don't seem to want to do it, but I'm insisting. They worry that he feels like he's in trouble or being left out. I assured the assistant director he's fine (the director is on maternity leave). I'm going to continue to insist. I don't know if they do it throughout the year; if so he's gonna have to go to Ms. Joannie's room the entire year on Fridays at naptime. I know I can't control much of what goes on at daycare/school, and I know most parents simply don't care about the television programming the kids see, but I do. It's my thing. Anyway, just a vent. I won't be made to feel bad because of my parenting choices. And the thing is, I don't feel bad about it!! I picked him up at 2:30 and he was happy as a clam and thrilled that he got to go be with his beloved Ms. Joanie!!
We spent the afternoon hanging out at home and he was out by 7:30pm!
Saturday morning we drove out to meet Palmi and Alonzo for a few train rides and fun at the Houston Area Live Steamers! Tate and Alonzo had an absolute blast! It was hot, humid and sticky, but a really great time! First up we had to buy the boys shirts. Tate was in heaven as the shirt had a picture of the Polar Express on it!! Then we were in line for our first ride! Fifteen minutes later and we were 'ALL ABOARD!!'
| Tate's jumping up and down in excitement! |
The ride was at least 7 or 8 minutes long...much longer than I anticipated and really alot of fun!!!
We then walked to another part of the area to watch the model trains. Tate and Alonzo gazed and adored the model trains for about 20 or 30 minutes as Palmi and I wiped sweat from our brows and swiped at mosquitoes.
| This is when I asked if he was ready to leave and go ride another train...no, no, no!!! |
| The Polar Express! |
| I love how happy he is in this picture!!! |
![]() |
| View from my perch on the train! |
![]() |
| Ready to go!!! |
![]() |
| Pic I took of Palmi over my head as we were riding along. That's my ponytail in the bottom of the pic :) |
We made our way home, grocery shopped and came home to hang out. Played in Tate's tent and played Candyland...he won! Multiple times!
This morning we skipped church (after I ironed our clothes...something I never do!) as I realized it would be totally focused on Father's Day especially in the children's service as well it should be in my opinion. Though Tate seems absolutely oblivious to his family structure and the lack of a father in his life I just decided it might not be the best service for us today :) So we hung out, played in the tent, did some legos (hooray for new interests!) and ran a couple of errands.
We had my family over for lunch...I made shrimp with linguini, salad and Lindsey brought some cookies. Yum-o!
| All the kiddos! |
| Cheese! |
| Yo! |
Though Tate doesn't have a father in his life, he's surrounded by men who love him, from near and far. Especially his Papa!! We are blessed!








2 comments:
Hello,
I'm Denene Millner, a freelance writer. How do I contact you? Can you email me at denene [at] MyBrownBaby [dot] com? I'd like to interview you for a national magazine story on the new face of single moms of color.
Loving the pictures! Looks like such fun - and Tate is clearly over the moon happy.
Post a Comment