So me being me just cannot have a morning where we do nothing without hyperventilating, so I decided we should try some peanut butter this morning.
This was the result...
At 8:27 I convinced Tate to try some peanut butter; he didn't want to...he is not a fan of new foods. I promised him a lollipop if he would just try it. Well two minutes after I got it in him he looked like the above picture. Another 2 minutes went by and he started saying "My neck feels funny Mommy." I shoved some Benadryl down his little throat, with my epi-pens within reach. He then started complaining his stomach hurt. I said "Let's go get your lollipop and how about we put your sheets on your bed?" He's been begging me since we got the bed together to put his new train sheets on the bed and dragged the sheets downstairs this morning from the dryer. He was ambivalent now though...a clear sign he didn't feel good. We got all the way downstairs, and I decided to look in his throat. I had him open wide to check his airway and he vomited. Now part of it may have been from me putting my finger in his mouth, but he continued to vomit once I moved my finger out. All the peanut butter came out it seems. (He had vomited after the eggs also, so I was prepared for this possibility.) As soon as he vomited his normal cheery disposition returned. I let him have a lollipop and I made a call to the pediatrician's office...they have sick baby/child visits available on Saturday mornings. I told the nurse who answered the phone what had happened. I did tell her I am a pediatric dentist, and I'm comfortable that he's feeling better, and I know what to watch for at this point, but if the doc on call wants to see him I will bring him in. She's going to let the doctor know and have them call me back.
So now we're just hanging out and taking it easy. He's in heaven because I'm letting him watch Mickey Mouse Clubhouse on the couch with me! Normally tv is limited to when we first wake up on Saturday mornings for 30-45 minutes only. And by we I mean he with his 5:30 Saturday morning wake-ups...I hand over the phone, so I can sleep a bit more :)
I do wonder if his reaction would have been worse had he not had a dose of Benadryl last night at 7p preceded by Zrytec at 7a yesterday morning as well as the day before as he's been pretty congested the past 2 days complete with a croupy cough in the mornings. So he's had some anti-histamines in his body for the past 48 hours. When we do his allergy testing at the allergist's office he has to be off anti-histamines for 5 days prior to testing for accuracy. I don't know how much of a difference it makes with a food challenge, but you can believe I'll be asking when we see the allergist.
The other interesting thing is I ate peanuts ALL THE TIME while I was nursing him; the entire 14 months. I lived on Planter's peanuts. They were easy, had some protein and fat (of course I know not good fat), but I craved them. So he was exposed to them through my breastmilk all the time. I wonder if that contributed to his eczema which did clear up markedly once we stopped nursing. I do know that kids with egg allergy almost always have eczema as infants; I wonder if his was worse due to the nuts in his system.
Just asked him how he feels and he said he's fine. So we're gonna hang here some more then run to the grocery store for some egg free cake for him for the birthday party we're off to today!!
Happy Saturday!


2 comments:
Poor kiddo, I admire how calmly you handled it all!
Poor Tate. I'm glad he felt better after he vomited, but such a shame he is still allergic.
Post a Comment