Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Monday, March 19, 2012

A Little Catch Up

So, I need to blog about all our goings on!!  We've had quite the festive weekend and past week.  I'll just start with today and work backwards.


I took today off after working 5 days last week (I know, I know...whine, whine, whine), but I worked 5 days last week and it was Spring Break and it was crazy.  I was exhausted and after the emotional wreck I was as the week started I did not have a good week.  In addition all I can do is think about how this is going not work when Tate is in school and vacations during summer, Christmas and Spring Break are completely frowned upon and umm basically not allowed.  Umm yeah so when do I go on vacation with my 7 year old?  I don't see me taking him out of school in the middle of the year.  Yet, without this career choice, this job the idea of taking a vacation doesn't even exist.  Rock. Meet. Hard Place.


But none of that worrying.  God will take care of it.  That's years away, and I need to live in the now with this sweet child of mine.


So I was off today.  Tate had a dentist appointment...at my office!!  We've been practicing for weeks opening his mouth, hands on our belly button, legs straight, saying aah.  Because at his last check-up and cleaning he bit my hygienist so hard her finger bled.  Yes, my child, the model dental patient.  Last night he was all excited talking about how Elmo goes to the dentist, Mommy is a dentist, Charley goes to the dentist (from Maisy, which we haven't read in MONTHS...his memory is amazing!) and everyone else in all his books who goes to the dentist, and we were ready for today.


"I don't want to go to dentist" I hear from the back seat.  Crying ensued.  


We got there and he was still fussing.  We went upstairs and he was still reminding me he didn't want to see the dentist, but I promised him he would get a present.  He ruminated over this, and decided that was a good deal.  That lasted until it was time for the cleaning!  We were exiled to the Kitty Kat room which is reserved for the criers lest they disrupt the entire office with their shenanigans.  Sweet Theresa cleaned his teeth in the lap to lap position while he cried the ENTIRE time.  But he kept his hands on his belly button (mostly) and his legs straight, and was pretty good about staying open.  He then went with her by himself to get his prize.  


But ahhhh....she called it a prize.  He returned to me wanting his present!!!


He was great for his exam by Aunt Dr. Rita though we still had to do it lap to lap.  No tears, no fussing.  A little decalcification of the facials of #C and #H which I knew about.  It seems like his crossbite may be self-correcting...hard to tell with a 2 1/2 year old who postures and doesn't quite understand when you say 'bite on your back teeth.'


Then we were off to the post office to make an appointment for my passport renewal.  Off to Walgreens for my passport photo!  I then dropped little man Tate off at daycare and headed off to a much needed massage for myself at The Motherhood Center.  It was wonderful.  Jane worked her magic as always.


Grabbed a bite to eat.  Yes, Chick-Fil-A...not on my diet plan, but umm I'm on vacation today.  I picked up sweet Tate who was just finishing nap and snack time.  We then headed off to The Mad Potter (a paint your own pottery studio) for some painting.  He had an absolute blast.


And I must mention that while we were at The Mad Potter, Tate peed on the potty while we were there!  He was even wearing regular underwear!  When we went into the bathroom to wash the paint off his hands I set our little portable potty on the toilet and just sat him on it.  I didn't bother to ask him if he had to go!  And pee-pee he went!  He was so proud, as was I (he actually did this yesterday as well. He told me as we were about to walk into the grocery store that he had poops...his way of saying he needs to pee and/or poop... I grabbed the portable potty and he peed there as well!!!).  So we may be out of training pants/diapers at home really soon.  He wears regular underwear at school and has since at least late November.




We made a pit stop at Gap Kids where the only thing worth our attention was the mannequin.  What is with the Gap and their lame, hideous, slim pickings for little boys' clothing?   Nothing the least bit springy much less in the Easter theme.  And the number of skulls and bones was disheartening.  I refuse to put that crap on my 2 1/2 year old.   
Back home Tate played trains while I cleaned up a bit. Then I got down on the floor with him, on my tummy and all moving the trains around with him.  We played blocks and had a grand old time knocking them down with as much noise as possible...poor Vinnie.


Night Night time was a bit of a challenge as he gets all wound up after his bath for some reason.  He wants to scamper around and play when I want him to calm down and relax, but we're a work in progress.  He was asleep by 8 after I had to go back up after 20 minutes of him chanting Mommy Mommy Mommy.


It was a great start to our week.  I'm looking forward to going upstairs in a few minutes and putting him in bed with me.  I've been doing that since last weekend, and he sleeps so well with me.  I know I may be setting him up not to sleep well without me, so I need to stop it, but I so love it and so does he.  But he's staying overnight with my parents' on the 30th, so I can have my girls over for Book Club, so he needs to be able to sleep alone.  It will be probably a bit challenging at another house in the first place, though we stay there together overnight all the time.


But I'm not worrying about that now.  I'm enjoying every minute with this child of mine.  And looking forward to tomorrow and whatever it brings to our family!!!

1 comment:

Laraf123 said...

There is a new store called Crazy Eight (it's owned by Gymboree)--have you seen it? More choices for little boy clothing--hooray!

Oh, and school year vacations? You wouldn't believe how many families take their kids out of school to travel "off season". You won't be the first or last. Just try to avoid the weeks of state and district standardized testing because that's very difficult (but mandatory) to make up. Kids come back and miss more class work while they take the tests their peers have finished. Probably more info than you need right now--just want you to know, for the most part, missing a week of school to spend time at a great destination with family is no big deal from this teacher's point of view.