Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Thursday, August 11, 2011

The Beginning

I have been meaning to write the story of how Tate came to be for almost 4 years now because it actually starts in November of 2007 when I went to Australia for 2 weeks.


All of my life I wanted to go to Australia and Greece.  All of my life.  If you had asked me my life's goals and deepest desires I would have said to be a mother, to be married and to go to Greece and Australia.  I suppose that at almost 44 years of age that 3 out of 4 isn't so bad.


One of my dearest friends lived in Berlin, Germany for about 2 1/2 years.  I flew over to visit her 3 times while she and her family lived there.  While there I was able to manage a side trip each visit.  On one such side trip I flew off to Athens, Greece!!  (yes by myself)  An absolutely amazing trip.  I will definitely post pics and blog about that one day as it's still very fresh in my mind and close to my heart.  Thankfully, I almost always journal while visiting other countries, so I have a pretty good account of my time there.


In any event, Greece was off my list at the tender age of 37.  So that left getting married, becoming a mom and going to Australia.  I had begun toying with the idea of becoming an single mother by choice in May of 2007 when I was shopping for a new vehicle.  My girlfriend (the one who lived in Germany) suggested that I might want to consider having a child and that the 2-door Infiniti G-35 coupe I had my eye might not be the best choice.  I had never thought of becoming a mom on my own, but something resonated with me.  I started to give it some real consideration.  And on a side note I purchased the G-35 sedan (still love the coupe though...and now it comes as a convertible...should I add this to my list?)


I suppose I didn't know it, but I became a thinker.


I treated myself to a trip to Australia for my 40th birthday!!  I had saved and saved.  On Friday, November 16th  of 2007 after turning 40 in August of that year I flew off to Sydney, Australia.


I spent 8 days in Sydney and Mudgee.  Wonderful, glorious, fun-filled, awe-inspiring days.  On Monday, November 26 I flew off to Cairns for 5 days to visit the Great Barrier Reef and enjoy the beach.


On Thursday, November  29, I met Christian.


Sydney Opera House 11/2007




Christian and I met that morning of the 29th  on a tour of the Daintree Rainforest.  I got up the courage to ask him and Raik to join my new friend Tammy and I to dinner that same Thursday evening.  We're enjoying drinks after a lovely dinner in Cairns.  I flew back to Sydney the very next morning.
This is when our journey together began.

1 comment:

Mer said...

Your story really gives me hope. I was turned down at two clinics this past summer. The first because I was single (was literally hung up on) and the second because I wanted to use my best friend of 20 years as my known donor. A third clinic agreed to help only after a six month quarantine.
After reading your story, I asked my friend if we couldn't try the at home insemination. My prayer life has taken a dramatic upswing as I'm begging God to have my miracle on the first try!! I didn't realize that two weeks could feel so long or that I could become so very paranoid about every single thing I am feeling!!
Sorry this is kind of long - and I might sound a little nutty - but I want to thank you!