Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Monday, May 2, 2011

Again....

Yet again, Tate has had an idiopathic allergic reaction.  Unbelievable.  As always, he's not the least bit fazed.  He doesn't scratch or rub the hives all over his little body.


Sunday morning I heard him crying a bit in his crib around 3:30am.  I checked the clock and just said to myself 'no way in hell am I going to go see what's wrong...let him work it out himself,' and I went back to sleep.  I have no idea if he went back to sleep or continued whimpering or what.  At 4:30am I heard him again.  This time I got up and brought him into bed with me with strict orders to lay down and go to sleep.  At 4:48am I was being kicked and messed with.  I was not happy.  I sat up, laid him down and hissed 'go to sleep.'  At 7am (wow blessed 7am) he was kicking me, so up we got.  I took off his sleep sack and pjs to change his diaper and he had many small patches of hives.  I was horrified...this was probably why he didn't sleep well!!!  I felt like the world's worst mother.  I immediately gave him some Benadryl and within minutes the spots started dissipating.  However, I knew they would most likely recur that afternoon.  Sure enough by 3pm he was covered again.  More benadryl down the hatch.  I wracked my brain trying to figure out what had changed in the past 24 hours...only thing we had done was go to the zoo.  He rode the train, rode the carousel and petted the goats.  In addition he simply breathed the air of the animals.  


I did expect however that his morning he would have little or hopefully no issues!!  Sadly, he had hives in almost all the same places.  I spoke to the triage nurse and she suggested bringing him in.  My wonderful, amazing, generous, kind, fabulous mommy took him in for me, since I couldn't leave work (another post).  We saw a substitute pediatrician since mine was off today.  He said that this could continue for a few days and we as usual cannot pinpoint what has caused it.  Ugh. And oddly enough as I sit here typing this I'm itching all over and breaking out in small hives too.  What. Is. The. Deal?


So Benadryl every 6 hours until the hives are gone.  Follow-up with our allergist as suggested this summer.  Thankful Tate is such a happy go-lucky little guy who is rarely phased by medical calamities.  And a mommy who wishes nothing bad would ever happen to her little boy.

1 comment:

Laraf123 said...

Poor Tate! How unnerving it must be to always be wondering what his body will react to next. Luckily you know just what to do and he is such a little trooper. I hope you get some more answers (and no more surprises) this summer.