Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Saturday, August 22, 2015

First Day of First Grade

Monday, August 17, 2015 was Tate's first day of 1st Grade!

My little baby is in 1st Grade.

It's unfathomable to me that he's well into his elementary school years.  The transition to 1st grade hasn't been nearly as hard on me as kindergarten was.  However, I already loathe and fear 2nd grade.  It seems so much more like 'real school.'  1st graders are still tiny and sweet and innocent in my eyes. There's something about 2nd grade that just seems so much more mature.  I anticipate that being really hard for me.

But I'm not going to have my pain in advance.  I'm going to relish in my sweet, tiny, adorable 6 year old and 1st grade!

Sunday morning we went to church and during the church service they had a blessing of the backpacks!  The kids were invited to bring their backpacks and received a laminated card to attach to their backpacks reminding them that their church family is praying for them this school year.  Such a lovely thing to do!

I started a tradition last year of us going out to dinner to the restaurant of his choice the night before the first day of school.  I should amend that to his favorite meal in case he decides he'd like to stay home for dinner in the future.  As or right now though he's all about the French Fry Place still :).  So that's where we went for dinner!!
We talked and laughed and had a great time together.  I told him I was going to take him to school on Monday and walk him to his classroom.  He was shocked.  And I think even a little appalled. :)  He told me in all seriousness "But Mommy, you have to work.  You don't have to come in with me.  I know where the classroom is, remember?"  I told him in no uncertain terms :) that I would be walking in with him that day and every first day of school including college. 

Monday morning came bright and early!  Tate was so excited!  He got his special breakfast of Tiger Cheerios (Frosted Flakes) and a pancake with syrup (frozen waffle...normally he gets them plain), and he was dressed and playing in no time.

Here's my new 1st grader!


 We hopped in the car, and we were off!!  We walked in holding hands :). He ran into one of his BFFs almost immediately, and they were almost effervescent in their excitement.  I took them both in the classroom where we saw his teacher, Mrs. W, getting to know one of the new students (there are 5 new boys in 1st grade this year;  we lost 3 to moves from last year).  Poor H was just so shy, head down, didn't want to go out and play, didn't want to talk to the teacher, to me or the boys.  I encouraged Tate and S to ask H to go outside with them, but he wouldn't even look up at them.  Mrs. W offered to him that he stay inside with her, which is what he did.  Tate and S then made a beeline for the playground.  I barely got Tate to take a picture with me!
Smirking.
This got a smile because BFF S was in the pic!
I wandered to the playground to watch the boys for a bit.  Watching Tate run around with so much joy made me so happy!   
Absolute happiness!!
In keeping with our school tradition, I picked Tate up from school that afternoon!  (Carpool was a mess!  Lots of first timers and confusion!)

I then took him to get a scone as a surprise.  Our favorite place was closed...I had no idea they were closed on Mondays.  Thank goodness one of the docs at work had been going on and on about a snocone stand that was also in the vicinity.   I didn't remember the name of the place, but was able to remember enough about it to find it!  Oooo---weeeee were they yummy!  And it was a tiny little stand on a street corner!  No seating!  No nothing, so Tate and I just sat on the curb in the afternoon sun :)







Then my sweet boy and I came home and spent the evening together.

He was sound asleep almost before his head hit the pillow.

He's still my baby...
All curled up like he did as an infant.  He'll always be my baby.






No comments: