Last week during dinner one night I was going over Tate's summer plans with him. I told him he was going to have so much fun! He really seemed on board with the whole idea of a summer of fun. I mentioned that Nanny S would be picking him up from camp most days and that even better, some of the camps were only half days!! That meant he would get to come home and play with his toys or go to the playground or go to the library or hang out with his friends for playdates. He was going to have such a fun summer.
He looked a little distraught. I asked him what was wrong.
"I want to have fun with you, Mommy."
I about burst into tears.
There is nothing I wouldn't love more than to spend a summer with this little boy. I hate that I can't give him what he wants and desperately needs. This is the one thing I wished I had known when I decided to become a pediatric dentist...that summer would be my busiest time, and the hardest time to get away. I mean it never even dawned on me. I work on all these patients all day long and hear about their weeks long trips out of the country or their 2 months away to Wisconsin while I have to scrape a week to spend with the most important person in my life, the reason I work so hard. Yet, I'm grateful to have a job that allows me to have him, provide for him and spend a week with him. Still my heart breaks.
My plan is to plan some very fun weekends with him...we will do something just the two of us every weekend. I need to give him all my attention when I get home from work. I'm going to try to have lunch with him during the week when he has half day camps. We'll have that connection that we both need and want.
We will have our summer of fun!!!

1 comment:
What a precious boy! You'll have a great summer!
Post a Comment