Tate was playing soccer with his kindergarten class. They practiced once a week after school with games on Saturdays. His school offers soccer, basketball and baseball as extra-curriculars for the lower school boys; they keep score with positive coaching by parents. I was all over that...I totally believe in keeping score, letting the coach do his job and the kids enjoying themselves. I firmly believe there need to be winners and losers, and not everyone needs or deserves a trophy even at the age of 5.
Tate initially did not want to play soccer, but I signed him up anyway because his teammates would only be his classmates, and I wanted him to spend some quality time outside of the classroom with the boys to really get to know them in a not so structured environment. This was probably the best decision I made this first semester of school. He ended up having a blast, and the games were really fun to watch, stressful but fun. They only lost one game!! Anyway by October soccer was in full swing.
I also had him doing art after school one day a week; he really enjoyed that as well and made some wonderful artwork.
Even better everything was right after school. Nanny S even went to the soccer practices in my place, since many of the moms did as well. I really wanted someone out there watching Tate who cared about him, and whom he knew was there just for him. Can I say again how blessed we are with Nanny S?!!
He continued swim lessons, but after school. My parents pick him up that day and take him to his lessons then bring him to my office. He and my mom sit outside my office and do his homework/hang out until I'm done. I love that he gets that time with them once a week. However, I'm very very disheartened that I'm not getting to see my little boy flourish in swimming. I understand he's doing a fabulous job and getting stronger and stronger in the pool each week.
October had Grandparents Day...my parents met Tate up at the school for a program and got to see his classroom.
We made a trip to the county fair!! Always a festive time! Tate shocked me and was up for all kinds of crazy fast rides! One of which goes forwards at an amazing rate of speed then backwards. Thankfully we ran into a friend of mine who offered to ride with him, so I didn't have to!!
| There he is with T! |
| He had an absolute blast!! |
I dragged Tate with me to my eye appointment and my relaxer the day of the conference, and as always he was a trooper!
Soccer Saturday!!
![]() |
| Playing goalie! |
Sunday found us at Dewberry Farm for the 4th year in a row!!
We went with sweet Alie and her mom! The kids were so excited to see one another!!!
Monday was Columbus Day, so Tate didn't have school, and of course I had to work. I took him to his old daycare for the morning then his nanny picked him up to take him to a playdate with his BFFs H and G!! Again, so grateful for her. She left him at H's house and then H's mom took H and Tate to their swim lessons; they go at the same time, but they're in different classes. N even took pictures of Tate for me and sent them to me!!!
![]() |
| His old stomping grounds!!! :) He was actually quite happy to go! |
That following Friday I had a meeting with the head of the lower school. He had asked for meetings with all the new parents; I was really nervous of course. He just wanted to spend 10-15 minutes learning about Tate and me and answer any questions I had. I'm not really good at these kinds of meetings; I don't ever have intelligent questions to ask. I'm so much the person who just takes everything at face value; I'm almost too trusting. I did explain about our family structure making sure he understood that Tate doesn't have a father in the true sense of the word, that he has a known donor. I asked that he please back Tate up should he hear Tate referring to Christian as his dad a little bit. I also made it very clear that Christian has no parental rights and should never be allowed to pick up, be with or around Tate at the school without my express written consent each and every time. I also questioned the family make-up of the other students and my concern that ours would stand out. He assured me there were several alternative families. All in all it was a good conversation, and I left feeling like Tate is in the right place.
Saturday was soccer again!!
![]() |
| Got his game face on! |
| Strategizing! |
| On a break... |
| About to complete a pass! |
![]() |
| This is the best picture I could get because they couldn't stop dancing around and running amok!! |
We had our first Sunday birthday party. I was most definitely not amused especially since it was in the morning, but I took Tate anyway. We went just for a little while because we already had plans to meet up with our other friends for the ZooBoo only an hour later. One of the best parts of this party is the fact that it was for 4 boys! Four boys had birthdays in October in the kindergarten class. Their parents threw a combined party! What a fabulous idea!!! Now all our weekends are not full of birthday parties! Just really excited about this idea!!
| This was our favorite game!!! |
![]() |
| That's his new BFF, one of the birthday boys! |
![]() |
| He wanted to be the Polar Express again!! |
It was a really festive day!
Later in the week I had to attend a happy hour on Thursday evening thrown by an oral surgeon who I routinely refer to. She's really sweet and an excellent surgeon, so I wanted to support her, but I hate missing out on my minimal time with Tate in the evenings. Therefore, I had his nanny bring him to my office, and I took him with me. I made his dinner and gave it to him at the happy hour. Then he happily played with his planes. I am so very grateful to have a child who can entertain himself and behave in public settings without me having to be by his side. He's just so awesome. I was able to mingle and enjoy a glass of wine for a good 45 minutes before it was time to leave to get him ready for bed and stories.
![]() |
| Playing happily with his planes! |
![]() |
| This was after the injection :( |
Saturday evening I had a lovely dinner with my girls from the tribe...all 10 of us were available!! First time in I don't know how long. We went to Seasons 52. Oh my goodness the food was divine, and the wine superb! We had a simply wonderful time! My babysitter, one of his old teachers bailed on me at the very last minute, but my parents stepped in for me!! I am soooo lucky to have them. I was able to relax and know he was very well taken care of and thrilled :)
Sunday AFTERNOON :) we had another birthday party! Luckily it was in early afternoon, so we still had time for the weekly food prep and getting ready for the week!!
The following weekend we were off to NYC to watch Lindsey in the NYC marathon!
It was a GREAT October!






























2 comments:
I like the soccer "game face" picture! And the grandparents' day portrait. Very, very special!
Love the pictures! So glad he's settled in to school and made friends.
Post a Comment