Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Monday, September 24, 2012

Hurricane Ike Hits Houston and Other Early Fall 2008 Happenings - Tate's Birth Story Continues

Hurricane Ike roared into Houston on Saturday, September 13, 2008 in the wee hours of the morning.  If you've never been in a hurricane; well I hope you never have to experience one.  I was hunkered down with my parents in Sugarland along with my sister Lindsey, her friend Cody from grad school and my cat Vincent.  I don't remember much, but walking outside around 10pm on Friday night you could feel the wind picking up, the air was thick and humid and it was simply eerie.  Fear and emotion practically wrapped around you as the wind whipped the trees back and forth.

I was supposed to be on a cruise ship that very night.  Actually I was supposed to have left that Thursday the 12th for my dear friend's bachelorette cruise...a four day extravaganza on a floating party boat! We were headed for Cozumel out of Galveston, returning that Monday.  Surprisingly, the ship still set sail.  Yes, the ship set said INTO a hurricane.  As late as Thursday early afternoon, we were still undecided about whether we would go.  5-6 girls had flown in from around the country and the rest of us (the female part of our tribe) were here in Houston.  The cruise line was refusing to offer any sort of refund or voucher for a future cruise.  If the boat left, you were either on it or forfeited your money.  We were livid.  Mind you this storm had already killed almost 100 people; it had decimated Cuba and Haiti and it was most definitely headed our way.

But if you weren't on the boat, your financial loss.

Our feelings were even if we did get on the boat, our cars could be destroyed down at the docks by storm surges (though I suppose we could have gotten rides to the dock and good thought as all those cars were flooded).  Another concern was the immense nausea and motion sickness many of us were sure to suffer from.  We were assured by Carnival staff when we finally reached them, they would have plenty of medical staff on board to assist us.  (oh happy happy joy joy).  Also, even if the boat did leave, when might we be able to get back to Texas.  Our concern was the dock being completely destroyed by Ike (which actually occurred) rendering us unable to return to Houston for quite some time.  Which also happened...the boat was re-routed to New Orleans if I'm not mistaken and getting back to Houston was very difficult for those DUMB enough to have gone out on it.

We opted not to go.  And by the grace of God our travel agent got our money refunded.  This took alot of irate calls on her part, and I believe she threatened to not do business with them anymore.  It took weeks to get the refunds, but so glad we did.  But there were hundreds and hundreds who were out their money once they didn't board.

I had spoken to Christian earlier that Friday and updated him on our situation.  And it was dire.  I was more scared than I had ever been.  The winds on this storm were horrific...we were anticipating winds of more than 110mph.  Do you have any idea how strong that is?  And the breadth of this storm was absolutely frightening, and the fact that it was producing sustained winds of that speed was mind-boggling.

We blew up my parents' air mattress, and we 'kids' opted to sleep in the living room as far from windows as we could.  I had taped all my windows on Wednesday and Thursday.  All my artwork was removed from my walls and placed in closets.  I boxed up all my fine crystal and any breakables I didn't want destroyed in the event of a flood.  I moved as much furniture from my first floor to my second as I could.  Nothing was left in the closet downstairs that couldn't be destroyed.  Towels were placed along windows in case the wind blew water so hard it seeped in (this water was coming horizontally and vertically).  I loaded up my car with as much as I could to have with me at my parents' home.  You see I live about 60 miles north of Galveston;  my parents are a bit more southwest.  We realized my home could feasibly receive more damage, and for some reason having your 'stuff' with you makes you feel better all the while knowing you could lose it where you take shelter.  I had any and all photo albums with me, really anything of sentimental value loaded in my car and put in their home.

The night grew darker and more quiet.  Around midnight, we were all just exhausted;  power had been lost and it was eerily quiet...the calm before the storm.  I fell asleep only to be awakened by a frantic, scared Lindsey.  'We have to all get in Mom and Dad's closet.  Now.'  We woke Cody up and we traipsed into the closet with my parents.  Well my dad stayed in the bedroom.  We huddled under blankets and tried to listen to the battery operated radio.  (and I tried to convince Vincent to stay with us).

My dad insisted everyone keep their shoes on.  His only deference to the storm.  His feeling...if we need to evacuate quickly everyone should already have on shoes.  No looking for shoes.  Okay.  It made sense.  But after 2 hours I had to take my shoes off.  I was willing to take my chances.

If you've never been in the midst of 100+ mile an hour winds let me tell you it's horrible sounding.  And when it goes on for an hour or more you begin to think it's never going to stop.  I could hear objects flying around our house, hitting our house, hitting the neighbors' houses.  The rain, oh the rain...constantly pelting cars, houses and the pavement.  This went on for hours.  The wind did dissipate after 90-120 minutes, but it continued.

In the midst of this I got a call from my alarm company.  This was around 3am.  The alarm had sounded.  They pinpointed the point of entry as being my downstairs balcony doors.  I was in tears, hysterical almost.  In my mind, I could see water just gushing in and destroying my home.  The alarm technician was so very kind as I explained he was calling me IN HOUSTON and that we were undergoing a hurricane.  He was so sympathetic as I cried.  Though we both knew there was nothing to be done, he said he would alert the authorities knowing full well they were not going out in this weather to investigate.  For we knew this was not a break-in, it was Ike hammering away at my home 30 miles away from where I was.

I calmed down realizing there was absolutely nothing I could do until I could return home and see the damage.  We came out of the closet, removed our shoes and decided to get some sleep.  Flashlights were turned off.  Candles were extinguished and morning was wished for.

Morning rolled around, though in the dark as my parents' home was without power along with millions of others in Houston and the surrounding area.  My sister, dad, Cody and I loaded up into my dad's SUV and made our way to my house so I could inspect the damage as soon as we could.  I don't remember exactly what time we made our way onto the highway, but it was probably mid to late morning.  

The devastation we saw along our drive was heartbreaking.  I really have no words, so I'll post this link of some of the best pictures of the aftermath of Ike.

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2008/09/the_short_but_eventful_life_of.html

Here are the pictures I took.  They are far from great, not even good as I was in a moving vehicle.







It's really hard to see the huge damage, but these streets are only 1-2 blocks from my home. 

Finally, we were at my house.  I rushed in fully expecting to see my first floor under water.  Thankfully, it wasn't.  The balcony door wasn't open, but the wind had pounded it enough to make it wobble and set off the alarm.  There was some minimal water on the floor, easily mopped.  I did have some water in the closet on the first floor.  I pulled up the carpet and left the door open to help it dry.  Power was out and would be out for 17 long days.

And my fish had died.  Rather, Matilda's fish that the 4 year old had gifted me when she moved with her family to North Carolina early that summer had died.  Meh, I didn't like the fish anyway...goodness a fish tank is ALOT of work.  How ironic that a rain storm a.k.a. water killed the fish.  Well I believe with the power out the pump stopped working.  Meh.  Vincent was the only sad member of the family.

We trudged back to my parents' house and amazingly their power came back on later that afternoon.  Centerpoint had their work cut out for them.  My office was without power for about a week, rendering me paycheck-less for a week.  No work=No pay.  But 17 days was nothing;  there were people without power for more than a  month.  In fact, one of my assistants at work was driving to College Station to shower every couple of days as her entire neighborhood was powerless for so long (remember that renders water and pottys useless) and the university offered up their gymnasium showers for certain neighborhoods.

I know this for a fact...If ever this country was under siege or attacked we would likely not survive, not because of the attack, but because we are truly unprepared for a disaster.  100% unprepared.  I stood in line with my mother Tuesday or Wednesday after the storm to get some minimal groceries for an hour outside in the sweltering heat.  People looked like they were in a war zone...unkempt, hot, tired, sweaty dirty, shell-shocked.  Ice was at a premium across the city.  People were sharing electricity.  If one side of the street had power, large extension cords were being strewn from one house to the house across the street to provide some relief from the heat, humidity and the dark.  (this was frowned upon by the powers that be)  But to see my fellow Houstonians scrounging in the grocery stores for any morsel of food was heartbreaking.  Everything was picked over.  Trucks could not make it in for deliveries because gas was so hard to be obtained.  If you hadn't stocked up on water upon water upon water you were out of luck.  And ice, well no reason to have ice if you don't have electricity...how are you going to keep it cold?  Bare necessities.  Bare necessities.

I cannot imagine what those people in New Orleans went through during Hurricane Katrina.  But I get their desperation, their loss of hope, their feelings of helplessness.  And I know this for a fact as well...this country learned from Hurricane Katrina.  It was a whole different ballgame here in Houston and Galveston.  Help was swift and immediate.  The government was all over us.  But I will always, always wonder is it because Houston is such a wealthy city?  I truly believe money talks.  And honestly, race matters.  I'll leave that at that.

I returned home 2 1/2 weeks later.  Tape came down.  Towels were put away.  Photo albums were returned to their rightful place.  I went back to work and back to the matter of trying to have a baby.

Yes, I was trying to get ready to have a baby.  Preparing my body to get pregnant

In preparation (I had started much of this that summer in July), I drank no liquids with meals at my acupuncturists' recommendation.  I drank no caffeine and no alcohol.  I avoided sandwich meat and tuna.  I wore a sleep mask every night with the exception of the night before, of and after expected ovulation.  I got enough sleep and did yoga for fertility at home as often as I could.  Every morning as soon as I woke I very gently rolled toward my nightstand and grabbed my thermometer to take my BBT.  I charted my temps dutifully as well as any and all symptoms of ovulation.  I also checked my cervix with a speculum almost daily to actually see when I was ovulating and to check my EWCM.  The female body is absolutely amazing, amazing.  I could tell beyond a shadow of a doubt when I was ovulating.  Maneuvering my body into position to do this wasn't easy, but once I got the hang of it I was good to go.  And I'm so very glad I did it.  I kept my laptop off my lap and my cell phone out of my pocket.

I took my pre-natal vitamins.  I did acupuncture once a week and did my homework from my acupuncturist daily...massaging fertility 'spots' on the body and breathing exercises.  I watched my diet in addition to that mentioned above.  I was probably in the best shape mentally and physically of my life.

Christian and I talked often and he was dutifully wearing the boxers I bought him, keeping his laptop OFF his lap and taking his manly 'pre-natal' vitamins.  He was trying to remain stress-free and avoiding alcohol as well.  In addition he was willing to abstain from any and all forms of sexual activity 5 days before our first insemination coming up in later October when he and his boyfriend came to the states.

I was ready to make this baby.

My girlfriend's wedding had to be postponed as the church she was supposed to get married in was completely destroyed by Ike.  I went to San Antonio for a weekend with another girlfriend and we had a great time...although partying on the Riverwalk sans alcohol is not nearly as much fun as it is after a few margaritas.  But I persevered and took my temperature and enjoyed myself immensely.

Remember the Alamo!!!
Then it was October 23, 2008 and Christian flew into Houston.

No comments: