Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

What a week

 Valentine's Day was Monday.  Tate's little school had a Valentine's party.  Tate took a red rose for each of the ladies who take care of him. (his regular teacher arrives at 8a and leaves at 4p so he is taken care of by other teachers until she gets there as I drop him off at 740a)  They had a special lunch, however Tate had his own lunch since I can't be sure there are no eggs in the school provided lunch.  And being Mr. Allergic I am really cautious about him having new foods that I haven't prepared.  But according to his teacher he had a great time.  We came home after school and read the books I bought him for Valentine's and had a great night together.  I couldn't ask for a better Valentine than my little guy.
 Today at school they had pony rides for the kids with a photographer.  Apparently, Tate had a fabulous time!!  He rode the ponies with no problems and just loved it!!  I'm so proud of my little guy.  My heart is a little sad though that I didn't get to see him on the ponies in person.  I so hate that I miss so much of his life.  He has a whole day full of festive events, favorite stories and toys, friends he plays with and someone else to wipe his tears.  It's so hard to be away from him.





































In addition to all of his fun activities at school, his sign language has really taken off!!  He signs coat, hat, thank you, brush teeth (which he even does now a bit...I do make him let me have a go at the toothies each time).  He also says hat, said giraffe when I pointed to it.   When I sneezed the other day he popped his pacifier out of his mouth and said 'bless you!'  He has a little game called 'Peek-a-Boo Barn that he loves playing on my computer.  He has the best new laugh;  he loves to be tickled; loves his Music Together Sticks CD, LOVES cars and saying the word car.  Just so many amazing and new things happening every day.


Tate and Me...our little family.  Family.  Immediate and extended.  Our family here in Houston is small...just my parents, sisters and me.  Everyone else is on the east coast.    And this week my mother has joined her siblings on New York City as my uncle, her only brother, was dying.  It was a quick onset.  He complained of a swollen stomach about a month ago and moderate to severe pain.  He was admitted to the hospital 2 weeks ago.  Cancer has overtaken his body and he had 4-6 months to live.  Three days later they gave him mere days to live.  My mother had to get there from Houston.  He held on for his sweet sister;  his other 2 sisters were already with him (one lives in NYC, the other in Virginia).  He passed last night surrounded by them at 12:12AM.


Tate and I will be unable to make it for the services.  And therein lies the problem with being so far from your extended family.  During time of crises AND happiness we can't be there.  There will be no 'good-byes' for us here in Texas.  Tate has minimal family here;  my middle sister has one child (and a 16 year old stepson) and my youngest sister has no kids.  As we've been separated like this for 35 years, extended family is not as important to me as it should be.  I don't even think I would recognize half of my cousins on a busy street.  What sad commentary.  But that doesn't stop us from closing ranks when we need to.  Everyone has rallied to help out as Uncle Jimmy had no children and no spouse.  No matter how far apart we are, we're there when it's important.  I pray Tate has some semblance of this type of family in his life as he grows up.  That is one of my most fervent prayers for my son.

2 comments:

Laraf123 said...

I am so sorry for the loss of your beloved uncle. The blessings of extended family become even more important when we become mothers.

Tate's daycare had ponies? We are moving to Texas! (Just kidding--but wow!) Tate looks adorable on the pony--how thoughtful that they provided a photographer.

Shannon said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. My extended family is spread out like yours (luckily my sister lives 20 minutes away), but we always rally when needed. That sort of thing is so important to share with your kids!

Hearing about Tate is making me so excited to be a mommy! I love the picture of him on the pony - so cute!