Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Friday, August 6, 2010

Let Go My Egg-Oh No!!

Well this morning I made Tate scrambled eggs.  I have a 3 day weekend, so this was a perfect way to do the 3 day new food test.  He gobbled them up all by himself which is a huge deal since he doesn't care to feed himself usually.  About 10 minutes into breakfast I noticed his chin and right cheek were looking splotchy...I chalked it up to his eczema.  He proceeded to look redder and redder.  His ears were bright red and he was scratching at them something fierce.  His eyes began to even look red as I took him out of the highchair as I was pretty sure he was allergic to the eggs.  Into his little tummy went some benadryl.  As that was going down I noticed the little bumps beginning on his neck and chest.  Poor baby.  Put a call in to the doc. 15 minutes later he threw up which was of course from the eggs hitting his little belly and it saying 'get the hell out of here.'  Between the no more breakfast in his tummy and the benadryl he was exhausted, so I gave him a bottle, nursed him and attempted to put him down for a nap.  No go....lots of vomit.  Then, exhaustion.  Nap city!  The nurse said we had to come in since he vomited and she was less than thrilled that he vomited twice.  Saw the doc on call for my doc and she said poor little Tate had a pretty severe reaction and that vomiting after an allergic reaction can be indicative of breathing problems to follow, hence the need to be seen.  He sounded great to her though!  Since Tate has never eaten toast, pancakes, pasta, cookies not even his birthday cupcake we now cannot even have food with eggs cooked in it until we see an allergist and have testing done.  I've offered them, and Tate has always spit those things out immediately.  And you know what...that's God's work there.  He kept my baby safe.

1 comment:

danielle said...

oh no!!! so glad tate is OK and that you're able to go forward with tests to be sure. what a shame if your cutie can't enjoy cake, but better safe than sorry!