I can't remember a time I didn't want to be a mother. I waited to meet the man who would love me forever and be a father to my children. At 39, he hadn't arrived. I knew I was meant to be someone's mom, so my life plan changed. At 41, I got pregnant on my first try with home insemination! Nine months later, my beautiful boy, Tate arrived! We've been together now for over a year. I'm happy, exhausted and in love. I wouldn't have my life as a choice mom any other way!
Wednesday, August 22, 2012
Still Growing Up!!!
I love hearing him say his name. And if I'm not mistaken this is the first time he's said his whole name, not just the first and last name.
Last Friday during his swim lesson I looked up from the observation deck and realized I didn't see him in the pool, nor did I see his instructor. I peered over the edge of the viewing window and still couldn't see either one of them. I grabbed our stuff and made my way downstairs. I was thinking he had either gotten sick or started crying for me (which would have been a first). I get downstairs and still don't see him or Ms. V. Then I looked down to the deep end of the pool and there is my baby jumping/diving into the deep end!!! Swimming!!! So. Very. Proud.
In the past 6-8 months Tate has really come into his own when it comes to play. He absolutely loves his train table; so far it is the single best item I have purchased for him. He can play on it for hours. Ok, maybe not hours straight, but over the course of a single day he'll play with his trains on it for a couple of hours. It's the first thing he runs to when he gets home from anywhere. And he'll play on his own for 20-30 minutes at a time. The playing on his own is by far one of his best personality traits. I can see him from the kitchen or from upstairs when I'm putting laundry in, making the beds, really doing anything. He'll play to his heart's content. Certainly, he'll come to me to fix something, or open something, or help him with something, but he's happy to play by himself. It makes life so very much easier as I can get things done with him awake; he seems me doing chores which I'm hoping in the long run he'll understand he needs to participate in; and we have plenty of time to do things together. I still get down and color or read or play trains, but now when I do I'm completely focused on our play time together because I'm not rushing through the list of things I have to do when he goes to bed or down for a nap the entire time. It's the most awesome when we get home from work/school. He runs upstairs every single day straight to his train table and plays while I get dinner ready. And sometimes like in this video he sings songs that have a melody only he knows.
Great swimming! He has a beautiful kick with nice straight legs! (I used to teach swimming.)
I know I am oversimplifying BUT I think you have to try not to get sucked into these dichotomies of "if your child doesn't go to this school at age 3 then don't bother saving for a college fund."
Lots of kids grow up less than privileged and turn out great! You are providing for Tate in all sorts of wonderful ways. He is clearly bright and learning tons. There are many paths to success.
2 comments:
The deep end? That's incredible! Go Tate! What a wonderful skill--thanks for sharing the inspiring video!
Great swimming! He has a beautiful kick with nice straight legs! (I used to teach swimming.)
I know I am oversimplifying BUT I think you have to try not to get sucked into these dichotomies of "if your child doesn't go to this school at age 3 then don't bother saving for a college fund."
Lots of kids grow up less than privileged and turn out great! You are providing for Tate in all sorts of wonderful ways. He is clearly bright and learning tons. There are many paths to success.
Post a Comment