Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Friday, August 3, 2012

Roommates

"Where are you taking that chair, Mommy?" comes the voice from in the living room as I dragged a dining room chair to the stairwell.


"I'm going to stand on it to hang up one of your pictures." I replied.


"Ok Mommy."


BANG! BANG! BANG! as I hammered the nail into the wall.


"Mommy what are you doing over there?"


"I'm putting a nail in the wall to hang your picture on."


"OOO K."


"Hey Tate...can you come hand me this picture on the floor please?"


"Ok Mommy!"


He scampered over to the stairwell and looked at me standing on the chair.  Thrilled to be helping he picked up the picture and handed it to me.  Then he climbed up on the chair with me.  (yes I realize this was probably not so safe, but it's a 2 level landing, so chances of him falling down the remaining steps are slim)  The picture was hung, and we gathered up our tools...he carried the heavy stapler I used as a hammer and I lugged the chair back up the stairs.


Working together.  Companionship.  


Me and my little boy.


Earlier this week, we were hanging out upstairs at bedtime, talking and laughing and I realized how very, very glad I am to have someone living in my home with me.  


I have a companion.  Someone to share my day with.  Someone to talk to.   Someone to laugh with.


Granted I also have someone to put into time out.  Someone to spill milk on my newly cleaned floor.  Someone to make huge messes in my house.


But it's someone!


I have basically lived alone since 1996.  I did have a roommate for 8 months in 2003 and my sister Lindsey lived with me for about 18 months 2008-2009.  Other than it's been just me, rattling around in an apartment or this house.  Quiet evenings, slow nights and a little lonely.


No more.  Evenings are loud and raucous as he races his trains around.  Nights once he is in bed are frantic as I make lunches, finish cleaning up, doing laundry, picking up after my sweet boy and I don't have alot of time to feel lonely anymore.


As he sleeps tonight I'm thrilled to know I'll wake up to him smiling, probably in my bed (he's learned how to climb out of the crib) ready to read a book or more likely ready to watch his beloved Thomas on my iPhone.


And it's more than having someone.  It's the relationship.  The love.  The joy in one another.  The quick hugs, the fast tears, the drama, the laughter.  


It's simply fun.  


Now how long do I have to wait for him to do the picture hanging FOR me?



1 comment:

Laraf123 said...

I lived alone since I was 19. What an adjustment the past 5 1/2 years have been. You're right, even after they go to bed, there's no time to be lonely!

Glad Tate is such a companionable little boy. Makes every task more fun (and a lot longer!)