This is how old I am today...
45 years
540 months
16,438 days
394,512 hours
My birthday.
I was born on a Friday.
Friday's child.
'Friday's child is loving and giving.'
I didn't feel quite so loving and giving last night when Tate wouldn't go to sleep and cried and whined until 10pm. From 7:30-10pm.
Sigh.
Not our best evening.
He was up at 5:10am. On my birthday. I was not thrilled to say the least.
Not our best morning. On my 45th birthday.
But we made the best of it and muddled through.
Our beloved Aunt Lindsey stopped by to say hi after her early morning run! We then got ourselves dressed and headed out to music class because Tate wanted to sing 'Hello Everybody.' Into our car we went, and I couldn't get the intelli-key to work; the damn car kept saying 'No Key.'
Sigh.
I needed a new battery.
But it was a new me. A new day. 45 year old me. Though Tate was crying in the back seat because he wanted his after music class snack before music class, I didn't lose it. I just gave him the snack...what would it hurt? We weren't going to be singing 'Hello Everybody' this morning. I called the dealership once I finally got the car started on a wing and a prayer and decided to go on over there and get the new battery. Told Tate we weren't going to music class, but we'd play the CD when we got home.
"Ok Mommy!"
Good idea to give up the snack, huh?! Makes for a compliant child!
Off we went. While waiting for my new battery, we saw something we liked....
We ventured home. In our old car. Hung out and played; I cooked dinner for tonight's celebration. My mom made the cake...her birthday is Monday, so we decided to celebrate with the family tonight for both of us! Funny how the birthday girls did all the work, isn't it?
And thank goodness, Tate took a nap. But goodness he did not want to. I just rocked his little bum to sleep. Took about 20 minutes, but down he went and into my bed. 90 glorious minutes.
And on this birthday of mine, my three dearest friends called me. When I thought I was too exhausted, too worn out and just so overwhelmed and not in a mood to celebrate anything or feeling not so celebrated these three brought me so much joy.
I met all three of them my first year of college...Shelley (Tate's godmother), Palmi and Roland (Tate's godfather). 27 years ago today. Twenty-seven years later and each of these three are still constant in my life. The love we share is love I can't imagine not having in my life. And today I needed to be reminded of that love. These friendships. These people who have loved me when they didn't have to. These people who chose to have me in their lives.
Shelley came by while Tate was asleep to spend some time with me and brought me a sweet gift. We just hung out and chatted. And when sweet Tate woke up, he was thrilled to show his Aunt Shelley all his trains!!
Off we went to my parents'. We spent the afternoon hanging out with my fabulous family. Some yummy wine, great dinner (if I do say so myself), smashing cake and ice cream and some help from a certain little guy blowing out the candles...
So tonight I'm still exhausted. I'm still worn out. But I'm content. Though I've found having a birthday and being a single mom makes for an interesting day. There's noone to make sure your child makes you a card. There's noone to take him shopping to buy you a gift or help him make you a gift. There's noone to make sure he understands that giving is as wonderful as receiving. And though Tate was thrilled to sing 'Happy Birthday' to me today I don't know that he quite gets it. And I'm the person Tate loves the most in the world, the one person he would probably choose to celebrate if he could. Yet he celebrates me every single day with hugs and kisses, tears only I can kiss away, tantrums and disobedience because he knows I love him and he's safe with me. He is my life's celebration.
I'm content. I love and I give. And I'm loved and given to in return.
What more could Friday's child ask for.
'Friday's child is loving and giving.'
I didn't feel quite so loving and giving last night when Tate wouldn't go to sleep and cried and whined until 10pm. From 7:30-10pm.
Sigh.
Not our best evening.
He was up at 5:10am. On my birthday. I was not thrilled to say the least.
Not our best morning. On my 45th birthday.
But we made the best of it and muddled through.
Our beloved Aunt Lindsey stopped by to say hi after her early morning run! We then got ourselves dressed and headed out to music class because Tate wanted to sing 'Hello Everybody.' Into our car we went, and I couldn't get the intelli-key to work; the damn car kept saying 'No Key.'
Sigh.
I needed a new battery.
But it was a new me. A new day. 45 year old me. Though Tate was crying in the back seat because he wanted his after music class snack before music class, I didn't lose it. I just gave him the snack...what would it hurt? We weren't going to be singing 'Hello Everybody' this morning. I called the dealership once I finally got the car started on a wing and a prayer and decided to go on over there and get the new battery. Told Tate we weren't going to music class, but we'd play the CD when we got home.
"Ok Mommy!"
Good idea to give up the snack, huh?! Makes for a compliant child!
Off we went. While waiting for my new battery, we saw something we liked....
We ventured home. In our old car. Hung out and played; I cooked dinner for tonight's celebration. My mom made the cake...her birthday is Monday, so we decided to celebrate with the family tonight for both of us! Funny how the birthday girls did all the work, isn't it?
And thank goodness, Tate took a nap. But goodness he did not want to. I just rocked his little bum to sleep. Took about 20 minutes, but down he went and into my bed. 90 glorious minutes.
And on this birthday of mine, my three dearest friends called me. When I thought I was too exhausted, too worn out and just so overwhelmed and not in a mood to celebrate anything or feeling not so celebrated these three brought me so much joy.
I met all three of them my first year of college...Shelley (Tate's godmother), Palmi and Roland (Tate's godfather). 27 years ago today. Twenty-seven years later and each of these three are still constant in my life. The love we share is love I can't imagine not having in my life. And today I needed to be reminded of that love. These friendships. These people who have loved me when they didn't have to. These people who chose to have me in their lives.
Shelley came by while Tate was asleep to spend some time with me and brought me a sweet gift. We just hung out and chatted. And when sweet Tate woke up, he was thrilled to show his Aunt Shelley all his trains!!
Off we went to my parents'. We spent the afternoon hanging out with my fabulous family. Some yummy wine, great dinner (if I do say so myself), smashing cake and ice cream and some help from a certain little guy blowing out the candles...
So tonight I'm still exhausted. I'm still worn out. But I'm content. Though I've found having a birthday and being a single mom makes for an interesting day. There's noone to make sure your child makes you a card. There's noone to take him shopping to buy you a gift or help him make you a gift. There's noone to make sure he understands that giving is as wonderful as receiving. And though Tate was thrilled to sing 'Happy Birthday' to me today I don't know that he quite gets it. And I'm the person Tate loves the most in the world, the one person he would probably choose to celebrate if he could. Yet he celebrates me every single day with hugs and kisses, tears only I can kiss away, tantrums and disobedience because he knows I love him and he's safe with me. He is my life's celebration.
I'm content. I love and I give. And I'm loved and given to in return.
What more could Friday's child ask for.

3 comments:
Happy Birthday! (I was really hoping you had purchased the car--maybe next year!)
I know what you mean about being an SMC and celebrating your birthday caring for your child. On the one hand, he's the best gift, the only gift you ever wanted and on the other, you just want a break on your birthday.
(I spent the entire 24 hours of my birthday alone with my children. When I finally begged them to behave because it was my birthday, they looked at me like I was speaking Swahili!)
Still, when you blow out your candles, what can we wish for? We have everything!
Happy belated birthday!
Beautiful blog Jennifer !!! we are very proud of you for the mom that you are to Tate. It is never easy and we all face the same kids' issues - but I have to say you are a true trooper and Tate is a wonderful, young person because of it.
I hope you all (including your family) had a great celebration and we'll chat again soon.
Love Roland, Sharon, Ava, Ian...
Post a Comment