This is how our train ride just about ended.
| * |
Yes, sweet Tate fell out of the moving train. Thank goodness the train goes about 10 miles an hour.
I was sitting in the seat in front of the kiddos with Christina (mama to Tate's BFF sitting next to him on the seat behind us). Christina and I were sitting turned toward one another chatting and keeping an eye on the kiddos. The fathers of the other two children were directly behind them. None of the four kids were moving about, standing up or misbehaving in any manner.
"HE FELL OUT OF THE TRAIN!"
That's all I remember hearing, though Christina says she called my name to grab my attention; I have no recollection.
I whipped my head around and all I saw was an empty spot where my son had been sitting.
An empty spot.
I will never forget how that seat looked with my son gone. As long as I live that empty spot will be imbedded in my brain. Here one minute, gone in an instant.
I felt like the life had been sucked out of me.
I stood up and screamed "STOP THE TRAIN!! STOP THE TRAIN! MY SON FELL OUT OF THE TRAIN!! STOP!!!"
I jumped off the train almost losing my footing and began a race to the back of the train as it continued to move.
I couldn't get from around the train fast enough as I had had to jump off on the side opposite from which Tate had fallen.
And as the last car finally cleared my visual path I saw my sweet boy running after the train, just crying.
"Stop! Stop train!"
I swooped him up in my arms, desperately trying to be sure he was ok, no broken bones, no scrapes, no contusions, no bleeding. He was just crying, yet reaching for the train which had finally stopped.
We got back on, him in my arms still frantically trying to check him out. He appeared just fine, more shaken up than anything.
And his little BFF was sobbing, just sobbing.
Unbeknownst to me Christina had jumped off the train as well. But when she jumped, she fell. And fell hard on her backside. And poor little Leo, her son, Tate's BFF, was beside himself. Seeing his mommy fall and hurt herself as well as his friend, well he was inconsolable.
What an amazing mom/friend Christina is. She risked herself to help my son. I am forever indebted to her.
The train got moving, and we finished our ride, Tate in my arms, Leo in Christina's. Tears about to spill from my eyes in relief, fear, thankfulness.
The first thing Tate said when he saw my dad..."I fell off Edward, Papa, I fell out of the train."
Great. Just great kid.
We went back to the party and Tate was happy as a clam as he got to do what he had been wanting to do since we picked up his cake this morning...EAT SOME CAKE.
No worse for the wear apparently he is sound asleep now. As we cuddled tonight after bathtime he kept saying...
"You stopped the train for me, Mommy? You stopped the train for me?"
"Yes, Tate, I stopped the train for you."
"You came and got me Mommy? You picked me up?"
"Yes, Tate I came and got you. I'll always come and get you."
"You stopped the train for me Mommy?"
My heart if full of thankfulness and love.
I'll always stop the trains for him.
*forgive my lack of photo-shopping skills please. just trying to make a point.

3 comments:
What a heart stopping moment! So glad Tate is alright & Christina too.
Aww, that made me choke up, "you stopped the train for me, Mommy?"
Heartbreaking in its trust.
It was too cute when I asked him about falling off the train and he said yes. Then quickly followed with silly Edward! As it, Edward had purposefully launched him out of the seat.
Post a Comment