Doesn't that video just about say it all? LOL!! We had walked into the bedroom tonight, and I continued on into the bathroom. He wasn't behind me when I turned around as I heard him just giggling.
He was in the crib!!
I almost passed out!
He then swung his leg up over the rail as if to get out, but got scared and asked me to take him out. I then asked him to show me how he got in. He was more than happy to oblige!! He then asked if he could stand on the side of the crib like he does with Coach Bruce.
Ummmm....NO!!
And he said 'ok Mom.' And back down he went all the while just happily mumbling about Coach Bruce.
Those damn gymnastics classes. If I'd never signed him up he could probably stay in the crib until he was 37!!
Ok back to our regularly scheduled programming...
SWIMMING!
6-29-12
Working on that kicking!
They end each class diving for the rings!
I'm amazed that he can go underwater for so 'long!"
7-6-2012
In the last session he was back floating like a champ; he would float the width of the pool on his own no problem. Now she's working on getting him to do some sort of freestyle movement :) of which he is not a fan! As is obvious in the video she starts him on his back and then as they reach the side helps him turn over and wants him to 'swim' to the side. His biggest issue has been not kicking his legs, so she's been really working on him with that and asked me to as well. Though I do so love how she, as well as the other instructors, encourage parents to let the kids enjoy being in the pool by playing when they're not in lessons. Well this past Friday he did just great! He kicked his legs most of the time without being reminded! I was so proud of him!
However, I am saddened to say that I was a typical parent. When I came down from the observation room to get him, Ms. V was just a-smiling and said "He's started kicking!! I'm so proud of him!".
My response...
"I saw, but he needs to start listening. I saw him just looking about, counting the tiles when you asked him to start swimming"
And she smiled and said she would see us next week.
As I took my sweet boy's hand to walk to the other end of the pool to change him I realized that I had totally marginalized his accomplishments in my quest to point out his shortcomings. And surely Tate heard me because he was standing right there. So, all of his pride in himself was lost in my need to complain about what he did 'wrong.' (And honestly, he's 2 years old. It's going to take him a few minutes to focus sometimes)
I felt (and still do actually) like a horribly, controlling, meanie mother. Harping on her kid. Looking for all his mistakes. Taking away his joy and pride.
So as we are about to finish Tate's 3rd year on this earthly planet I hope I have learned my lesson. My prayer is that I remember to always, always mention the positive first and also realize that most of the time the negative doesn't need to be mentioned in the first place. But when it does to temper it with something, anything praise-worthy first, no matter how small. Because like all human, our children will always remember the negative, and when they hear that first, well everything afterwards, no matter how positive is already colored distastefully, easily forgotten.
And I AM so very, very proud of him!!
Look at that awesome kicking
7-6-2012

No comments:
Post a Comment