Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Friday, April 6, 2012

Just Me and My Boy

We had an amazingly good day today.  It started out a bit iffy with Tate wide awake at 5:14. I was not pleased.  I put him in bed with me, and he proceeded to kick and annoy me.  A couple of stern "If you don't stop kicking me, you'll be in the crib" went in one ear and out the other, so back into the crib he went.  He then proceeded to make as much noise as humanly possible, so I stomped out of the room and came downstairs to the second floor to sleep on the couch.  I have no idea if he went back to sleep, but I set the alarm for 6:30 and managed to sleep about 45 minutes.


Upon going to get him from the crib, I found him naked from the waist down telling me he needed a new diaper.  No shit, Sherlock. ;)  But he makes me laugh with that every time he does, because he's so serious.  Funny kid.


We lazed around the house, then Aunt Shelley came over bearing Easter gifts for her godson.  Tate was all excited about her arrival then stayed behind me.  I love my old roomie and pledge sister to no end.  She's just awesome and the best godmommy I could ever give my son.


We headed out to get me weighed at Weight Watchers.  I lost 3 pounds!  Hooray!


We then went to the Galleria with the hopes of being one of, if not the first in line to see the Easter Bunny.  We were 4th!  Tate was skittish while we were standing in line.  I told him if he sat with the bunny he could ride the mall train.  Well that worked like a charm!  He did great!!  We then went to Intimacy Boutique and got me fitted for some bras.  Tate sat in his stroller like a champ and just watched the going ons.  He does amazingly well so far at being in his stroller; in fact he loves to be in that thing.  He asks to be in it.  I've been blessed so far to be able to take him shopping relatively anywhere, and he'll sit in the stroller, sometimes with a snack, sometimes without.  Hope this trend continues.


We then rode the amazing mall 'Water' Train as Tate calls it.  We go by a huge waterfall while in the train, hence Tate's name choice.


 






































I texted Lindsey, and we decided to meet at Zoe's Kitchen for lunch (she was working til 2:30 today).  Unfortunately, Tate fell asleep on the way there for an early naptime of 11:30. I wasn't terribly shocked, because if we're close to naptime he will fall asleep in the car in an instant.  But I wanted to hang out with Lindsey and nosh a bit, so I parked next to the outdoor eating portion of Zoe's and left Tate in the car with it running, so he could have a/c.  (we are at about 90 degrees here during the day) I wasn't sure about this at first, but Lindsey ordered our food while I stayed in the car.  Once she came outside we were literally 10 feet from the car.  So, eh.  It's all good.


He was awake when we left at 12:30, so it was a short early nap.  I wondered how this would play out for the rest of the day.  We came home, and I did some laundry and chores while he watched a bit of Thomas on tv.  Then we sat down and played together.  It was so cute and so very much fun.  We played with his train figures and the such...having the characters have names and doing fun things like riding the train, helicopter and/or airplane.  So cool to see his imagination at work as well as encouraging his pretend play.  We need to do this more often together.  I also need to get him some dress-up items.


We then headed out to see some friends who were just moving back into their house after a 9-10 month remodel.  Brought them some beer, because moving day isn't moving day without beer.  Then we headed over to my sweet friend S's house.  We went to dental school together and she's actually my dentist.  She has a 12 year old daughter, K who Tate seems to adore.  He was so excited to be going to their house.  We took their 2 adorable dogs for a walk to a playground, and Tate insisted upon walking 'his puppy dog' Wags himself.




S and I chatted a bit while the 'kids' played.  The 12 year old and the 2 year old.  K is great with Tate, takes him down the slide, makes sure he's doing ok.  Tate just followed her around and wanted to do everything she was doing from swinging from the rails to climbing poles.  One day, sweet boy, one day.



I don't see nearly as much of S as I would like.  She's super busy with work and raising a 12 year old and I'm busy with work and a 2 year old.  In addition there's the 10 year age difference with our kids.  That makes it hard to do stuff together.  But it's so nice to be able to hang out even just for 30 minutes and be with someone who makes you smile.  


On the walk home Tate tripped on the sidewalk and got his very first skinned knee.  And boy, how he cried.  That big, open mouthed, I'm not going to breathe kind of wail/cry.  Poor baby.  He was trotting along, Wags on his leash, and a piece of the sidewalk was raised.  Tate didn't notice at all and went headfirst onto his hands and little knees.  Poor baby.  His right knee was fabulously scratched up and bleeding.  I scooped him up and we continued the last few feet to S's house.  The whimpering and whining continued for a bit.  We got a cold compress and Neosporin on the knee and some water in his belly.  We headed out amidst some great complaining on Tate's part...a full-on tantrum was narrowly avoided with the emergence of his Thomas the Train Tag book.  Whew!


 A popsicle once home followed by picking at his dinner while skyping with his grandparents helped immensely.  Bedtime was a bit of a mess with meltdowns about not wanting a bath, and full on crying for about 10 minutes after bathtime interspersed with hiccuping.  I think the early morning, short nap, running around, and accident had taken their toll.  Usually when he skips his nap or takes a short one he does not melt down, but I expected it tonight.  I tried to have him in bed earlier, but only got him in 15 minutes earlier at 7:15.  He was clingy and huggy which he has been the past week at nighttime...a complete 180 from how he has been the past 3-4 weeks where he wanted no rocking, no hugging, no kissing or cuddling at nighttime.  So this is a welcome return to our original nighttime routine.  


So, Good Friday.  I've had the meaning of this day and the events that occurred on this day on my mind all day.  I even made the stupid decision to watch a clip last night on YouTube of a snippet of Mel Gibson's 'Passion of the Christ' that had clips of the arrest, flogging, crucifixion and resurrection of Christ.  I saw that movie on Ash Wednesday when it was released and it has never left me.  I have no words that can explain my feelings on the events that occurred all those years ago.  I remember walking out of there with only one real thought in my mind...Mary.  The mother of God.  What she must have felt watching her beloved Son tortured.  I, myself only watched the flogging onscreen through my fingers and had my eyes closed through much of it.  I cannot begin to even fathom what she felt (of course we don't know that she watched all of it, do we?).  But if she did....


She was His mother.


His mother.


Mother.


I feel so deeply for Tate right now whenever he goes through something as minor as a scraped knee.  I know how upset, terrified and hurt I was just yesterday worrying that he was going to eat something that could harm him.  I cannot imagine actually watching someone willfully harm my child like that.   Whether a person believes he was the Son of God is immaterial when you simply consider He was her son.  And someone was hurting him.


And for me who does believe, all I can say to her is


Thank You.

No comments: