My sweet boy will be awakened in about 30 minutes.
Why? Because this evening he leaned over to pick something up off the floor and hit his head on his way down on the a table in my parents' living room. It's a stone table, with metal edges. We're always really careful when we're in there trying to convince him not to run and being sure he's not playing around them. Well, as usual I was sitting on the couch right there by him. He leaned over and banged his little head. He cried for about 5 minutes straight while I cuddled him and put some ice on his head. It was a small, small bump (so much smaller than the one at daycare a couple of weeks ago). It was an 'outy', so a good thing. He then started playing and talking and wiggling around, no worse for the wear.
Then he threw up. 10 minutes later. Just about 2 tablespoons worth of vomit.
My heart sank. I knew this required a call to the pediatrician as a visit to the ER may have been needed.
The nurse on call gave me instructions of what to look for over the next 72 hours. Yes over the next 3 days. 3 days.
If he vomits again without a fever in the next 3 days we need to be seen.
If he acts disoriented or like he has a headache we need to be seen.
If he has drainage out of his ears or nose he needs to be seen.
I was also not to give him any pain meds for his head! Good thing I hadn't given him the ibuprofen yet, because I was going to as soon as I hung up with her (that was my intent before she called, to alleviate some of the swelling and for pain relief)
I need to wake him 2 hours after he falls asleep tonight and then again 4 hours after he goes back to sleep. Oh and waking him means getting him out of the crib and having him walk around.
All this for a small bump on the head, maybe 1/2 inch in diameter.
So in 12 minutes I'll go in our room here at my parents' and gently wake my darling son and walk him around the room.
As we said our prayers tonight I prayed for healing for my little boy. I gave him lots of hugs and kisses and rocked him longer than usual. He was asleep within minutes of my putting him in the crib with his beloved hippo and Sue-Y Bear.
Also today, Whitney Houston passed away. She was only 48 years old. When I look back or reminisce about the music of my youth, her music is a huge part of the soundtrack of my younger years. I had all of her albums. She had such an amazingly beautiful voice. And she was black, probably one of the first black women I aspired to be like, look like. Certainly Aretha Franklin, Dionne Warwick, Etta James, Diana Ross were famous black female singers, but there were very few young black singers my age when I grew up that I knew of. I don't and never have listened to rap or hip/hop, so Queen Latifah was not in my realm of consciousness growing up. Mariah Carey came along a few years later.
But Whitney Houston was there. Her music always touched my soul. She always moved me to tears. And like she has said, I have always believed music is love. It really is.
Music. Love.
I pray tonight that Whitney finds the peace and security she seems to have been in search of. Of course, as only a fan I have no idea what she needed in this world, but I hope that whatever it was that she has now found it. And I hope she's at peace as she goes on to meet our amazing Savior. An true angel's voice sings in the chorus now.
THE GREATEST LOVE OF ALL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kfs37zmBNRw&feature=related

1 comment:
Aw poor little Tate! I hope his bump doesn't become any more serious.
Post a Comment