Thursday, the 14th I picked Christian up at the airport alone. Tate was napping at daycare at his arrival time; this allowed Christian and I to have some time alone to see each other again for the first time since the end of November last year. We went to The Counter, so Christian could have a fantabulous American hamburger as soon as humanly possible. It was my first visit there as well, and O.M.G. the burgers were out of this world yummy! And the sweet potato fries...DELISH!!
We picked Tate up from school, and I could tell Christian was nervous and beyond excited. He was playing in the hallway as they had just come back in from being outside. He looked up at me and went back to climbing on the indoor slide!! We finally got him to leave with us and we took him to a local park/playground on the way home. As we watched him play and climb I asked Christian if he felt any sort of connection to Tate at this point (remembering that the last time he was here, Tate was so much more of a baby than the incredibly active, independent toddler he is today; also he is looking more and more like me these days as his coloring is changing to be much more tan). Christian looked down and said 'no, not really.' I was a little saddened as I could tell he was. But he played with Tate, helped him down the slide multiple times, cheered him on and clapped with him! They had a great great time. As we were walking back to the car I was holding Tate who indicated almost immediately he wanted to get down. I set him down to continue walking. He walked straight over to Christian, put his arms up and said 'Up!' Pure joy for Christian.
Tate had an appointment with the pediatrician on Friday morning. Initially the appointment was for a concern I have from his circumcision, but obviously we followed up from our ER visit 3 days prior with our new diagnosis of another staph infection. The ped gave me some hints to help prevent them from recurring, but apparently once he starts getting them he's more prone to them. I have to keep any and all wounds covered with antibiotics and try bathing him in an antibacterial wash. This proves to be difficult as Tate has incredibly sensitive skin and eczema. Anti-bacterial soaps are extremely drying. Nothing is ever easy is it? After both guys took naps we played outside in Tate's water table and ran around with his trucks!
Saturday morning, we took Tate to Gymboree for his first play and learn class. It's always so awkward when Christian and I take Tate to things like this. People obviously assume we are together, married and/or parenting together. I'm always uncomfortable wanting to make our 'boundaries' obvious, but not wanting Christian to feel left out, yet I'm hyper aware that I'm a single mother and it's hard to share Tate with someone else in any setting let alone one out in public when after this week it will just be the two of us. This is so very hard. Christian can't figure out 'his place' and I don't know what his place is. But the important thing is Tate had a blast running around, doing the activities and his favorite favorite thing...playing with the bubbles. He had just a great time. I signed us up for the class for the next month. We ventured to the park after class then naps for both boys again (Jet lag had a stronghold on Christian and he was actually quite ill). We went to visit my best friend and her family after naptime. Tate had a great time with her 7 and 5 year old. They love when Baby Tate comes to visit and relished in sharing their toys with him. I of course ended up in the playroom with the 3 kiddos since I can't leave Tate alone with the toys. This is why mothers crave adult conversation...even when adults are available you don't get to participate.
Sunday, we lounged about the house. Poor Christian was still feeling badly. We went grocery shopping first thing in the morning, then he napped a bit, while I hung out with Tate. More naps by the boys then we headed out to the zoo. We had a great time!! The weather was perfect!! We went to the new African Forest Exhibit, Tate and I rode the carousel and he loved the lions and giraffes!!
So, our weekend was really, really a fun time for Tate. So much of me was so glad he was able to spend some quality time with Christian. Christian helped me bathe him each night and get him into bed. I still have a hard time letting go of my fears regarding Tate, Christian and everyone's place in each other's lives, but I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that Christian loves this little boy. And Tate loves him in his own toddler way. Always foremost in my mind...what is best for Tate.
Our week to be continued...
| Saying hi to Christian!! |
| Loving the carousel! |
| Christian in love with Baby Tate |
| Hanging onto my sweet sweet boy! |

1 comment:
I can't imagine how complex this is for you. But it's a good kind of complex. You both love this boy so much. You are a wonderful, capable single mommy. There's nothing wrong with that. And there's nothing wrong with Tate having a strong male figure in his life either. All that matters is what works for your family. It may be overly said, but that's because it's true: It does take a village.
Post a Comment