Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Friday, July 15, 2016

Extra Time

Tate:  I like getting to spend more time with you in the morning.  I'm so happy.

Said my little boy as we walked into my office on Wednesday morning as his sitter wasn't able to get to my house on time (for the umpteenth time, but that's a whole other story).

That sentence of his both broke my heart and made it soar.  I crave more time with him during the week.  Our 75 minutes together in the morning give us maybe 5 minutes to actually 'be' together, and that's only if I get the chance to sit down while he's eating and I put on my make-up.  I'm very lucky in that he's a pretty easy kid in the morning..makes his own breakfast and I can put his lunch together while he's eating; he gets dressed while I clean up his breakfast dishes.  We load up his backpack and my purse, and get out the door.  But we're up at 6a and we need to be moving out the door no later than 7:20a  (though in the summer it's just me leaving).

To know though that he wants more of me as much as I want more of him just makes my heart ache.  I race out the door after work to get home to him because those 90-110 minutes we have once I'm home are precious and still so filled with life stuff.  But I do my best to have us upstairs in bed reading books, no distractions at 7!  Just him and me and the books.

And I lay down with him every single night.  Sometimes till he falls asleep and sometimes just for a few minutes.  Those are my favorite minutes of every day.

So instead of being simply annoyed when I walked into the office on Wednesday I was also so very happy to have those 15 extra minutes with my sweet boy.

We'll take that extra time any way we can get it!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sweet!! Elsie is a night owl and I am in the office early so we rarely have time in the morning but get some time in each night.

Abby said...

Forgive me for inserting advice when none was requested but you've mentioned this struggle before... why not go back to getting up a bit earlier (like you did before he could start breakfast alone) and spend fifteen minutes of quality time together in the morning? It might make work a lot more bearable if you had a chance to connect with your reason for working so hard.