Saturday night was the dinner party for my parents. Early last fall, my dad told my sisters and I that he wanted to go back to New York where they got married while we were there for Lindsey to run the marathon and he wanted to go back to Hampton where they first met and dated and see their old haunts. While in Virginia he and my mom wanted to celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary with their families, most of whom still live in the Hampton area...my dad's 5 remaining brothers and sisters, my mom's sister (the other lives in New York) and the majority of my and my sister's 1st cousins.
Initially my dad also wanted to go to Washington, D.C. where they went on their honeymoon, but they were unable to do so. That's why Tate and I ended up in D.C.
So Lindsey and I along with the help of my aunt organized a lovely dinner for them at the Cypress Grille at Embassy Suites in Hampton. I sent out formal invitations, and the plans were underway. I also emailed/mailed letters to many of my parents' friends (after absconding with my mom's address book on the sly) and asked them to send letters and/or cards wishing my parents well if they would like. I wanted to fill a scrapbook with memories and well wishes from those who would not be celebrating with us; I also asked them to send along photos if they had any. It turned out to be just lovely...one of the highlights of their evening. My cousin who is a semi-professional photographer agreed to photograph the evening, and my other cousin arranged for a gorgeous cake. My aunt did a fantastic job with the menu and organizing the event since Lindsey and I could do so little from so far away. We will be forever grateful.
In addition to the family guest list I included two couples who were (still are) my parents' best friends when we lived in Baltimore. These two couples mean more to my parents than any other friends they've had before and since. One couple lives in St. Louis and was unable to attend, but sent a lovely letter and some pictures from years past. The other couple resides in Baltimore and were able to attend. We kept their appearance a secret from my parents. Best.Surprise.Ever.
I have never seen my parents so very happy. The smiles on their faces will stay with me for the rest of my life. Their joy, happiness and contentment to be home and surrounded by those they love so very much will sustain me long after they're gone. Absolute joy.
Happy 50th Anniversary Mommy and Daddy!
My parents' best friends surprising them...the definitive high of the wonderful evening...
So much love in this room...
I'm including the pictures my cousin, who is a semi-professional photographer, took as a gift to us that night for this blog is more an anthology of my life with Tate in addition to an outlet for me as we travel this journey together.
| Doing the final touches! |
| My lovely Aunt Jean who did all the legwork to make this party happen! |
| This is one of my most favorite pictures from the evening...I love them both so much! |
| Uncle Chuck and Cousin Pete |
| Cousin Valerie sharing pictures of her grandson with Tate! |
| My mom seeing her sister, Aunt Alice! |
| Aunt Brenda arrives with her son, Lander! |
| Sweet Uncle Cary! |
| Give me some wine!!! |
| And the selfies start!!! |
| Me and my cousin Cheryl!! She was the youngest grandbaby for 14 years until I came along and usurped her position as the youngest and favorite grandchild!!! |
| Cheryl led us in a most beautiful blessing of the food. |
| My mom made the rounds of the room, trying to say hi and thank you to everyone for coming! |
| The littlest cousins having a blast! |
| My sister and my two cousins (who are sisters!) |
| I love the absolute mafia/gangster look we have going on in this picture! |
| My dad and his 5 remaining siblings. Sadly, three have gone home..Aunt Kathryn, Uncle Ronnie and Uncle Wade. They will be forever missed. |
| My mom and her sister, my Aunt Alice. They have lost two siblings... my Aunt Carolyn and my Uncle Jimmy. My Aunt Lynette was unable to come down from NYC. |
| Cake time! |
| Love this love! |
| Getting the littles ready to go home! |
| My Aunt Janice was just amazed by this carseat that Tate wore like a vest! |
This was probably one of the best weekends I've had in a really really long time. And it's all because I was surrounded by these wonderful people. Miles and miles separate us, but there is just something about the love of family. I'm so blessed that both of my parents came from individuals who placed such a strong focus on family and the love of God. It's so important for me that Tate see this, this love of family and God. I want him to always no that no matter where he is, what he does, who he becomes that we, his family, will always be there for him no matter the passage of time. My parents have done that for me, my sisters, my aunts and uncles, cousins and distant cousins. All of them.
Blessed beyond measure.

No comments:
Post a Comment