Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Friday, August 29, 2014

The One

We are 10 days into kindergarten.  What a difference 10 days makes.

I woke up that 1st Tuesday full of worry for my sweet boy.  I don't think I mentioned in my last post that on the way home the first day Tate said noone wanted to be his friend.  He was absolutely bereft.  He said I had promised him he would make friends after the snow cone social and he hadn't.  As I drove him home Monday I was near tears.  I told him through my watery eyes that I knew he would, that I should have told him it would take time.  I told him it was really hard to be the new kid, but he is a wonderful little boy and he'd have some friends soon.  And that he would always, always have me.  Always.

Thankfully I had planned to pick him up Tuesday as I knew if this second day had not gone well he would need his mommy.  I was a bundle of nerves in the carpool line, praying someone had befriended my son.  

Then he  scampered into the car;  seemed lighter, happier.  I knew part of that was his excitement to see me, but I hoped, just hoped this day had gone better.  As we drove down the freeway I asked how his day was.  He was beaming.  

"Mommy!!!  Ignacio CHOSE to sit beside me at carpet time!!!"

He was just over the moon.  He said that he sat between two boys at lunchtime as opposed to alone on Monday.  He said 'I' played with him on the playground and the he was his new best friend.

The rest of the week was 'I' this and 'I' that.  Tate had found a friend!  

One boy.  

All it took was one boy.  

One.

That's all it really ever takes to feel like part of a group.

That's all another human being needs to feel loved and welcome.

One person.

Just when you think there is absolutely no way you alone can make a difference, know that for someone you are the difference between happiness and complete sadness.  

Your one dollar will make a difference.

Your one minute to tell a stranger hello can change a life.

This one boy changed my boy's kindergarten experience.

And you know what?  It doesn't matter if he meant to or not.  It doesn't matter if it wasn't done with purpose.  Just acting with kindness is enough.  What matters is how the recipient receives the kindness.  

I'm not Mary Poppins enough to think that Tate won't be really sad some days or feel left out again.  That's life.  That's the life of a child especially.  But now he'll know though that that feeling can and will go away.  He'll know he'll meet another Ignacio probably 2 hours later.  

He'll meet someONE else who will treat him with kindness.  

Even better, the next time he sees someone who needs him, he'll be the one to say "Can I sit next to you at carpet time?"

We all need to be that one.
Here's my one!  This was taken on that Tuesday!  Look at that smile!
And to explain the long sleeve shirt and long pj pants in summer, 100 degree summer...
I've told Tate that since he has to wear a uniform every day during the week, that
he can choose what he wears after school.  It can be anything at all!
That's his favorite part of coming home I think :)!


2 comments:

Laraf123 said...

I'm so glad Tate found a friend. I have no doubt he will make many more. You are right, we all nerd to be the one. Well said.

Tiara said...

I really like how you pointed out that you really only need one friend to make things better. I grew up under the impression you had to have lots of friends to be worth anything but now know that one good one is worth a thousand fair weather ones.