I believed that we would win.
Sunday evening found us at my parents' for a few days. I got everything organized for Tate including his last minute shinguards (I got an email that Saturday evening at 9:05 pm for Monday morning's camp instructing me that shinguards were a requirement...sigh). I had his epi-pens ready, his snack packed up and my nerves on edge. It's so very hard to trust someone else with the care of my child and his food allergies. The camp didn't provide snacks, but they had a snack break. In the email we received on Saturday evening they asked that the parents provide a peanut-free snack, but somehow that wasn't quite good enough for me. Plenty of people don't take food allergies seriously, and so I became 'THAT' parent who emailed on Sunday asking if the coaches checked the snacks and if they were CPR certified. I got a lovely response back that evening which I sooooo appreciated stating the coaches were all CPR certified and that they didn't check the snacks, but they would be sure to check the snacks of whoever sat next to Tate. I was almost 100% relieved. I posted on FB how annoyed I was with the last minute 'requirements' for soccer camp because I didn't have time on Sunday to be running around buying soccer stuff. As always, my amazing friends came through. My girlfriend, Allison texted me to tell me she had shinguards, cleats, socks and shorts Tate could have!! WooHoo!! Lifesaver!! I picked them up on our way to the baseball game last Sunday!!!
We (my parents, Tate and me) were all up at the crack of dawn on Monday. I got Tate dressed and lubed up with sunscreen and headed off to work! Tate was thrilled to be wearing J's fast soccer shoes and his socks, shinguards (which were really ours as I bought a set of sock/shinguards at Academy worried Tate wouldn't like the separate guards and socks Allison gave us...turned out I was right...he refused to wear them on Tuesday, but I digress). So he happily went with Grandmommy and Papa to soccer camp.
My dad was so sweet. Late Sunday night as I was getting ready for bed, he got out of bed as I think he had been ruminating over this for the 2 hours he was already 'asleep.' He told me that he was worried that Tate would get too hot at this camp, and if he got to the 'place' and he didn't see anything but an open field, that he was not leaving his 4 year old grandson there. He was adamant. I, on the other hand, just had faith that this camp is not new and that they know how to take care of the kiddos. But my parents were doing me a huge favor driving Tate to this camp 15 miles away in morning rush hour for these two days and then keeping him until I got off work; I decided that if they weren't comfortable they should just bring him back home.
I got a 'report' on my lunch hour :). Tate had done really well. His coach was actually one of the guys who's coached him before...his beloved Coach G. Coach G was his coach at daycare his first session!!! He's coached him a few more times, and Tate just adores him. So I was over the moon ecstatic when Tate told me that afternoon on the phone that Coach G was his coach...he was so excited. There are two groups of 10 in the session, and the other coach was Coach Rod! Coach Rod has coached him this entire year at his Saturday classes when I go with him and at least two sessions at his daycare. Once I knew these two young men were his coaches, I was absolutely confident Tate would be safe.
![]() |
| Ready for camp! |
![]() |
| Definite bed-head hair! |
![]() |
Trivia Question: What was the highest attendance for a World Cup match and where was it held?
Answer: 173,850 in Brazil (Brazil lost...it was in 1950)
Tuesday was wear your favorite teams jersey or colors, so I put Tate in red, white and blue as we didn't have a jersey. Whether or not he answered the trivia question I will never know. I repeated it to him several times, but the number was long and he's never recited such a number and it was alot for him to remember. Who knows? LOL!
![]() |
![]() |
![]() |
Trivia Question: Which is the only team to appear in every World Cup?
Answer: Brazil
Work was insanely crazy Monday and Tuesday. We were just slammed. I have never been so tired after working a 2 day work-week. This 5 day break was well needed and well deserved :).
I dropped Tate off on Wednesday, which was wear Brazil colors day,and headed off for a quick massage. When I picked him up he was thrilled with his 'high five' for confidence!!
![]() |
| In his Brazil green and yellow!! |
![]() |
![]() |
Trivia Question: What is the only host country to have been eliminated in the first round?
Answer: South Africa
We headed off to the 'French Fry' place for lunch and then met our friend L and her son M at a snocone place!! (crossing that off the bucket list!). Goodness these were some awesome snocones!! Yummy!! We met another woman and her son on the patio after we joined them at their table. The boys had a blast playing together 'in the snow.'
![]() |
| Starting our staycation off with a toast!!! |
![]() |
| You should have seen the toothbrushing he got that night!!! :) |
![]() |
| Poor little guy was sooooo hot!! |
![]() |
| He was so excited that he scored TWO goals! It was because he was wearing J's fast shoes he said! |
![]() |
![]() |
We had lunch at home, then met some other friends at another snocone place. The one the day before was MUCH better in my opinion, but Tate had just as fantastic a time!!
I've moved Tate's swim lessons to Thursday afternoons, so that he will already have a spot 'reserved' when school starts. The after school slots fill up quickly, so I moved him from his 9:30 Friday morning spot to Thursday afternoon. We've been in that 9:30 Friday spot since he was 22 months old, so this was hard for me. It also meant that this Thursday afternoon would most likely be one of the last times I'll get to see him in swim lessons, because I'll have to have his babysitter take him during the school year (and no I don't have a babysitter yet!), as well as the rest of the summer, someone else will have to take him. It is so hard to miss out on so much of his life.
Even worse, once we got there yesterday afternoon it started thundering and lightning, so they cancelled the lesson 2 minutes into it. It took all I had in me not to start crying.
But we came home and snuggled in bed together.
Today was the final day of soccer camp. Much to Tate's delight it was indoors as the rec center was having a 4th of July celebration outside. Because yes it's the 4th of July! And they had camp! I dropped him off then came home to start our Disney trip packing and ran a couple of errands. I arrived back at camp early enough to see the group getting their awards. I love how proud he is of himself!!
![]()
| ||||||||





































1 comment:
What a great camp! Wish we had something like this! Well, I'm sure we do somewhere...next year I'm going to go the extra mile and find something like this!
Post a Comment