Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Saturday, July 26, 2014

Walt Disney World! - Day Four! - Hollywood Studios!

7:15am!!  Tate slept until 7:15!!!  Happy dance commenced.

Well, not a completely happy dance.  We slept in separate beds again on Tuesday night.  However, he fell out of the bed in the middle of the night.  With a huge bump onto the floor.  A few tears-his.   A racing heart-mine.  And all was well.  I climbed into bed with him to finish out the night, drawing him as close to me as I could.

We made our way downstairs to our lounge for breakfast.  This time I made him bring everything back to the room, so as to not have him so distracted by the television :).  We had plans to meet my dad at Hollywood Studios in front of the Great Movie Ride for 9am sharp!  And I know my dad...he would be there 3 1/2 minutes early, on the nose!  We took the bus over in a very timely manner and arrived around 8:40 :).  The park didn't open until 9, but they open the gates usually about 15 minutes early.  

We walked into the park and before us stood Mickey Mouse's huge blue Sorcerer's Hat!  There was some sort of Disney music playing and I simply got the chills.  It was a gorgeous summer morning, the dew just dissipating and I was in a great mood as was Tate.  It was the quintessential Disney experience as we walked with the crowd...the anticipation of a festive day, the laughter of kids and families, the feel of the warm sun on the backs of our necks and even the sound of kids getting into trouble so early into the day...all of it embodied the Disney experience.  This was what I had waited 5 years to experience with Tate.
There was a brief show on stage beneath Mickey's hat complete with Olaf welcoming us to Hollywood Studios.  At 9 on the dot they let us through to the rest of the park!

We made our way to the Great Movie Ride and there was my dad with my nephew, Scotty!!  Right on time, early as I anticipated!  It was great to see my dad!  I must say having become a parent myself has completely changed our relationship, and this trip has changed our relationship.  We had a minor 'power struggle' on Sunday when he was trying to get to Downtown Disney to meet Tate and me.  He had just flown in with Scotty and had rented a car.  They briefly checked into their room with the intention of joining us for dinner.  He didn't know how to get to Downtown Disney, it was raining and he was extremely frustrated. I was trying to stay dry while pushing Tate around and talking to him on the phone over the din of noise of the crowd.  Suffice it to say I couldn't help him with directions and finally exploded over the phone that I couldn't help him and that I could only do so much.  He finally seemed to get it.  I had finally decided that I could not be responsible for anyone else's vacation but mine and Tate's.  This was solidified on Monday when my cousin and his family were over an hour late meeting us at the waterpark.  I decided that Monday that I wasn't going to be married to my phone trying to meet people.  If we made a plan, and they didn't show, I could not let it affect my vacation with my son.  Once I made that decision, to only be responsible for our fun, I was 100% happier!

In any event, my dad seemed to have come to this conclusion as well.  In looking up things to do at Hollywood Studios I had come across this ride and knew it would be perfect for my father.  He loves all things old movies, so this was right up his alley.  He knew nothing about it, but I promised him he would love it.

And love it he did.  He grinned and smiled through the entire ride.  He relished in pointing out the characters and scenes from old movies.  I've not seen him so relaxed and happy in a long time.  I think the combination of a cool experience and the fact that I had found this for him brought out that spark :). My dad is a most awesome man.

After that we hustled over to ride Toy Story Midway Mania!  
This was an awesome ride!  I loved it!!!  Loved it! Loved it! Loved it!  We all wanted to do it again, but in that short period of time the wait had gone to 30 minutes!!! (we had used our fast passes).  Tate and I had fast passes for the Disney Jr show at 11:20, but our fast passes required us to be in line between 10:45-11:05.  Tate was dying to see Lightning McQueen and Mator (He really wanted to see Dusty from the 'Planes' movie telling me constantly that all the books and toys had the word 'Disney' on them, so he HAD to be at Disneyworld.  He was so disappointed).  Anyway, I had asked several cast members over the past couple of days if we would be able to see Dusty, and if not him the CARS characters.  I was assured that Lightning McQueen and Mator would be at Hollywood Studios.  Now we had to find them!  We walked through the park, trying to enjoy the walk, yet not get lost.  On our quest, a cast member invited us in to Oaken's  Frozen Funland!  We had a quick photo-op and decided to go in (we got out of the heat!).  Of course my dad has no clue about anything 'Frozen,' so Tate and I had to fill him in!

Tate insisted on holding his planes up.  In every.single.picture. 
The photographer told us to look scared!  We couldn't see Marshmallow when we took the picture...he was edited in!!! 
Same thing with Olaf...she told us to look surprised.  So super cool to see the finished product!
It was so cool!  They had an area filled with snow for the kids to play and build snowmen!  There was ice skating as well as ice skating performances.  Hot cocoa and other warm beverages were served up!  Tate and Scotty had an absolute blast!




 I took the Aurasma pictures myself with an app the cast members helped people download while we were in the Frozen Funland.  When you clicked the app and focused on the picture the trolls, Olaf and Sven appeared in your screen!!  It was so fun!  

That's some hard packed snow!!  :)
 

We had to get a move on though in order to find Lightning.  As we walked the sky got a tiny bit darker, but we thought meh...all is good.

Finally, around several corners we found Lightning McQueen and his best buddy Mator!  Tate was so very happy!



Scotty wasn't as impressed or excited :)
But he gave us a smile! 
Talking to Mator!! 
Saying good-bye...
 We then began our journey to Disney Jr. Live on Stage.  My dad and Scotty were off to have some lunch and do some age appropriate shows for Scotty...like Star Wars;  we planned to meet up with them later on that evening as they were leaving the following day.  Tate and I hiked it back to Disney Jr. which was about a ten minute walk.  The clouds started rolling in in earnest.  The sky was quickly becoming darker and more ominous.  Thunder was heard as was the crack of lightning.  I got the stroller parked and rushed Tate out of the stroller to the covered waiting area just as the heavens opened up!  

It poured for at least 90 minutes straight.  We made into the show just a bit damp.  The show where everyone sat on the floor.  Absolute misery.  Wet and uncomfortable as everyone had on rain ponchos and enough stuff on their backs and in their hands to keep a small army outfitted for a year.  But the show was cute and Tate enjoyed himself.

Remember when I said I put everyone's stuff in Tate's stroller.  Well my dad had his backpack with his and Scotty's fast passes etc, but Scotty's bag which was under my stroller had their rain ponchos.  My dad doesn't have texting capability on my phone, so he called to tell me.  I, of course, couldn't hear my phone, and when I called back he couldn't hear his phone.  We had several missed calls unfortunately.  To my surprise he wasn't angry or upset in his voicemails.  He simply said we'd made a mistake and they would not melt if they got wet (this is so NOT my dad :) ).  I realized I couldn't help them and knew they could buy rain ponchos if need be.  At this point I didn't know the rain was still coming down in sheets.  It wasn't until after our show when we dashed across the square to Voyage of the Little Mermaid that I realized the rain had never let up.


Happy boy!

Both shows were cute, and we enjoyed them, especially the Little Mermaid as I was in a chair!! :)

We opted to leave after that show as it was still raining.  We made a soggy trek to the bus, where we froze, and went back to the hotel.  We ended up having lunch at the Kona Cafe at our resort immediately upon our return.  The food was absolutely divine!!  This was the best meal I had the entire trip...if one goes one has to try the Barbeque Pork Tacos.  Delish.

We made our way back to our room for some down time.  I wanted Tate to take a nap as we had 6:15 dinner reservations back at Hollywood Studios at Hollywood and Vine and I wanted him to be able to see the Electrical Water Pageant that had been cancelled the night before due to the terrible thunder and lightning.  He fought napping tooth and nail, but finally went down after I threatened to have a babysitter come stay with him while I went to dinner!

We caught the bus back and met Gail and Marcus and the twins.  They had gotten a late start that day, so had gone to Hollywood Studios in the afternoon and opted to stay until dinner.  The restaurant was like a 50s diner and the food was quite tasty!!  My dad had decided to meet me and Tate at our resort to watch the Water Pageant, but had arrived earlier than anticipated.  I was on edge at first, then decided he would just have to wait, and I relayed that to him, and he seemed frazzled but ok :).  It's a new day in our daddy/daughter relationship.  As we left the restaurant we noticed some sort of street party going on!  The kids were thrilled, well not at first.   Tate danced his sweaty heart out!!!  Starting with 'We Are The Champions'....
That seemed to get them in the mood, and then they were all about dancing!
Especially gangnum dancing with Chip and Dale :)

After letting Tate dance for about 20 minutes we left to go meet up with my dad.  I was hoping Marcus and family would come, so they could spend some time with my dad, but they were unsure if their kiddos would be able to tolerate it after being at the park for so long.

We arrived at our resort and brought Daddy and Scotty up to our room.  


After everyone relaxed for just a hot minute, and I gave Tate the quickest bath ever, we headed down to the lounge to show my dad where it was and watch the Water Pageant.  Then we decided that since the weather was so nice to go watch it outside on the beach!  

The boys loved playing on the beach and the pageant was beautiful!






My cousins did end up showing up right after the parade was over, so Marcus got to hang out with my dad, while the kids played!







The cousins left and I took my dad and Scotty to the lounge to watch the fireworks ostensibly while I put Tate to bed.

Goodness did he fight going to sleep tooth and nail.  My dad had decided to spend the night in our room because he didn't want to try to find their hotel in the dark, and I totally agreed and we had more than enough space.  I had the 2 queen beds and a pull out twin.  My ad and Scotty watched the fireworks then came back to the room.  Tate was still wide awake.  I was so frustrated because the boy needed his sleep.  Finally, I just decided to move on and everyone came on in and went to bed.  I told Tate if he didn't go to sleep he wouldn't be able to go to Magic Kingdom because he would be too tired.  Finally around 10:30 he drifted off to sleep!

I climbed into bed beside him having had the best day of our trip thus far.  It was lovely having my dad and Scotty sleep over and I was grateful Marcus got to hang out with my dad for a bit.  I couldn't have asked for a more magical day.

2 comments:

Tiara said...

I must tell you, Elena (& me too) have thoroughly enjoyed looking at your photos & watching the videos of you & Tate having so much fun at Disney!

Shannon said...

Love love love these pictures, especially the Frozen ones!