Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Friday, October 28, 2011

The Gift of Music

 I just started letting Tate watch tv 2 weeks ago, the day after his surgery.  I let him watch one 20 minute episode of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse that Saturday morning after his surgery. I allowed him to watch it last Saturday morning as well and this morning.  I did pretty strictly adhere to the AAP's guidelines of no television before 2 until Tate was 18 months old.  At 18 months old, he was not picking up baby sign language well from me other than please, thank you and more, so I let him watch the Baby Signing Time videos no more than once a week for the duration of one video.  It was amazing how quickly he picked up on the sign language after just 2 viewings.  But I stuck to my guns of no other television.  If we went to someone's house where the tv was on, I moved Tate out of the room.  The television is never on at home when he is awake, and now I don't even miss it.  I rarely turn it on anymore, though this does leave me completely out of the loop from worldwise news events to fashion dos/dont's.  In any event, since he turned 2 I do allow him to stay in the room at other homes when the tv is on as they are usually tuned to sports channels or adult programs and Tate obviously has no interest in those.  So this was a big deal for my little guy seeing the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.  


All this to bring about what happened this evening.  I saw a link on FB featuring Andrea Bocelli singing a lullaby to Elmo.  Tate does know who Elmo is from books, and seems to find him cool enough :)  And I love Andrea Bocelli especially when he sings 'Con Te Partiro.'  It just melts my heart and I just feel so peaceful and am so moved.  Well in this clip he has changed to the words to make it into a kid-friendly lullaby.
  

Even with Elmo's squeaky little voice this song is just gorgeous.  Bocelli's voice is like no other.  


I showed Tate the video on my lap sitting cross-legged on the floor.  He was very intrigued and watched it one time in absolute silence, not a muscle moving.  He then looked up and asked me for 'more Elmo singing Mommy.'  I started it again.  About halfway through I realized he was shaking a bit;  I looked around to see his face and my sweet little boy was fighting back tears.  He was almost sobbing.  He turned around and threw his precious little arms around my neck with my iPhone in his one hand, the other arm wrapped around my neck.  He held onto me while watching and listening to this beautiful song over my shoulder.  He was absolutely moved by the melody.  Once it was over, I sat him back and asked him if the song made his heart sad, and he shakily said yes.  Still he wanted to see it again, and was in tears the entire time.  By this point I was crying as well so moved was I by the beautiful heart of my sweet son.  


Music is such a gift.  One I have always tried to share with Tate.  We did the Music Together series from the age of 5 months until 22 months (so 4 series), and he loved it.  I think it's time we went back.  


The heart of my child.  So pure.  So lovely.  And one that recognizes beauty even at the tender age of 27 months and was moved to tears over said beauty.  I am beyond blessed to have this wonderful child, this gift of God in my life.    

1 comment:

Laraf123 said...

Okay, my boys are in bed but I actually want to wake them to see this video! I had never known it existed--thank you!

I will confess to letting my sons watch too much tv but in my home it must be PBSKids. Henry now censors himself if we are out at someone's house and they have a not-so-great "kids" show on. He's the first to check that little symbol in corner with an age recommendation. And I have turned down more invitations than I can count to bring my kids on "playdates" at the movie theater. They have never seen a movie other than the original CARS--and that was in our own living room.

I don't think that our boys' gentle personalities are an accident. We're careful about what they are exposed to at such an early age. The world would be a much nicer place if more parents could say that.