Ok I had some fun too!
But it was a friend filled weekend for my sweet boy which I definitely think he needed!!
Friday night we had our Mommy and Tate Game/Movie Night!! A couple of rousing games of Zingo, Candyland and Boggle and we were ready for pizza and 'Cars 2'.
I pulled the loveseat close to the television, got our pizza out, my wine and Tate's milk, and we settled in for some Lightning McQueen.
It was the absolute worst movie ever. Completely and totally inappropriate for children. I was horrified...spy scenes, torture scenes, more gun violence than I think I've seen on a James Bond movie. And yes seriously, a torture scene. I tried covering Tate's eyes a few times. Finally when he started crying, worrying about Mater getting killed (a word I don't think he should even know the meaning of, but he learned it from this movie!!!!) I said no more. But then he really started crying because he was so worried about Mater. I ended up going to the Scene Selection and clicking on the very last scene, so he could see that all ended up ok!! The entire movie was just over the top in innuendo, violence, inappropriate language and content. And yes I don't let Tate watch a lot of movies...he's only seen both 'Planes', 'Frozen', and 'Cars 1' with me. I do know he's seen a few more at his old daycare, some of which I was very disappointed to learn about, but far less than the average 5 year old. So it could be argued that as he's not been as exposed to as 'much' that he's overly sensitive. But I don't think my kid needs to know about torture and spies. He's 5.
Ok rant over in the middle of my happy post :)
We popped in 'Mickey Mouse Clubhouse' and enjoyed the rest of our evening!!!
Saturday morning we lazed about the house until our first birthday party of the day! M turned 5, and his celebration was at the local pottery place that Tate and I love to frequent. Tate painted a mini dinosaur and seemed to have a nice time.
We came home for some lunch, I did some laundry while Tate played with his trains and planes. We made a quick trip to the library where we saw a gorgeous hummingbird!!!
We zipped off to the grocery store then we were off to the second birthday party! G also turned 5, and his celebration was at Pump It Up! Tate was soooo very excited. He hadn't seen G since his birthday party in July. We live a distance from G and his family, and when they move in a few months, we'll be even further apart, but it's extremely important to me that these two, along with H, continue this friendship. Tate needs more friends of color as do I, so I want to foster these relationships as much as possible. So I foresee some treks to the burbs for some years to come!
The kids jumped and played for a little over an hour. It's quite interesting to watch boys play. The pushing and shoving really unnerves me. It was really interesting to also watch the dads who were there watching the boys play. Where the moms and I would intervene, the dads, who I must say were watching as well, did nothing, stopped nothing. And these dads didn't appear to be the rough and tumble kind of guys...a couple seemed downright nerdy, yet they still seemed not the least bit fazed by how their boys were playing. While I don't buy into the whole 'boys will be boys' mentality, I also don't want to squelch Tate's maleness. None of the boys were crying or fussing, although a couple looked aggrieved in a couple of instances. I finally couldn't take it any longer and told Tate he had to keep his hands to himself. Another mom was in agreement with me, and we had meeting of the "It's so hard to be a woman watching your boy get pushed and shoved, and he finds it fun" minds.
After the party festivities we headed back to G's house with his family, along with our friends N and her daughter H. (We are the three families who went on the cruise together; these are the families I'm trying to stay connected with). I changed Tate into his pjs before heading over as they are over 30 minutes away from us and I wanted him to fall asleep on the way home.
The kids played and G opened his presents. And it was simply lovely. These are the friendships I want to foster and maintain over my lifetime.
Sunday morning we went to church and Sunday School. This is only Tate's second Sunday in Sunday School. I went up to get him afterwards a little worried as he hadn't wanted to go, but when I walked up he was laughing and talking like he owned the place.
We then made our way to the zoo train...it was a gorgeous day! On Friday I had been messaging with his friend Aaron's mom (from his daycare)....she mentioned they were going to ride the train on Sunday and asked if we'd like to join them. Of course I said yes! Though I didn't tell Tate in case plans fell through. On our way to church I had told him, and he was ecstatic! We met up for a quick train ride, whereupon Tate invited Aaron over to our house to play. I've never seen two happier boys. I still love how these boys love one another. The relationships Tate forged at his daycare are amazing, and I hope long lasting. We'll have to work to maintain these relationships as well, and I do see it as being more difficult as I don't connect with the mothers (or fathers) like I do with Gavin and Hailey's parents. But I'll do my best because it's so very important to my Tate.
The boys played for a couple of hours after eating some lunch together. Then Tate and I made our way to the grocery store and returned for some game playing, book reading and just hanging out together!!
Always remembering.....
'A day spent with friends is always a day well spent.'








No comments:
Post a Comment