Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Christmas in October

The Polar Express

I Believe

All ABOARD!!!

One thing about trains:  It doesn't matter where they're going.  What matters is deciding to get on.

Tate decided to get on.  And get on he did.  He had a fantastic Halloween.

They had Wacky Day at school, which encourages the kids to either wear their costumes or wear wacky clothes!

They had the kids form a parade, parties in the afternoon and the kids went trick or treating to the various classrooms and across the street at the church.  Tate seemingly had a blast.  (One of his teachers posted a couple of pictures!!  Love these ladies!)


Drop-off in the morning!
So sad this is blurry, but it's the best
picture of the whole costume!
He's wearing Halloween pjs because the
kids wear pjs on the Polar Express! 
Outside his classroom after nap time!
Look how excited he is!!
He doesn't look pleased cause I think he wanted
to continue in the parade, not take a picture! :)

I picked him as soon as I could after work.  I ran into my friend Cindy picking up her daughter.  We decided to take the kids to the poshest neighborhood here in town to go trick or treating.  What a fabulous idea!!  We got there around 6:30 but goodness by 7 the street was PACKED!!  The kids had an absolute blast, and I'm so grateful that the torrential rains that had plagued us for 4 days stopped right before I picked him up from school!  




Sweet babies!
He was so very excited!


Keeping with our Halloween tradition, Aunt Lindsey
joined us for the festivities! 
So very sweet!
Open the door!!!





Got that candy!!! 
Looks like that bag is getting heavy!!

The kids were pretty worn out before 7:30.  Jemma wanted to be carried, and Tate wanted his costume off.  So we loaded the kids back into our cars and made our way home.  Tate was asleep within minutes and didn't even ask for a piece of his candy.

It was a fantastic Halloween. I've never been one to want to celebrate Halloween;  it just bothered me to do so.  It seems so very sacrilegious.  And maybe it is.  I've decided to enjoy it for Tate, to embrace it for him.  That's what being a mother is to me; doing things outside my comfort zone for my kid.  He wants to dress up...I'll let him.  (within reason... :) ) I still refuse to buy him anything with a skull and cross bones on it regardless of how innocuous it seems (ie the Mickey Mouse pirate shirt with a skull and crossbones on it I saw for our cruise..not happening in our world).  No zombies in our house or darkness of any sort.  

He had such an fantastic time.  And he was so very proud of his costume.  He just loved it.  It was worth the late nights making it, the exorbitant cost of the materials, the stress of trying to even figure out how to make it.  That joy.  Absolute joy.  

And content.  We were both content.

Sound asleep on the way home.







1 comment:

Laraf123 said...

So many awesome things to comment on! Those pictures of Tate with his aunt are beautiful! Think of how wonderful it will be years from now when they both look back at them!

The best thing about Tate's costume is not just that it fits his love for trains but that it's homemade. With Love by his Mommy. And he saw the process--saw how hard you worked and planned it out. He'll remember that. So glad you documented it for the rest of us.