Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Memorial Day in The Big Apple - 2011 (Day 2)

Well after what was actually a relatively restful night of sleep (with a tossing and turning toddler) we were up by 6am.  Actually, Tate was wiggling around by 5:30, but I refused to move before 6am.  We took our time getting ready, feeding him his pedialyte and bland breakfast of yogurt and cheerios (to continue to appease his tummy), and my mother and I took turns trying to entertain a toddler in a small hotel room.  I ventured down to my conference while my mother and Tate ventured out into the street of Manhattan to enjoy the sites.  I love the feel of New York City..the hustle and bustle, street vendors on every corner, the diversity of those rushing by on cell phones, pushing strollers, hailing cabs, smoking cigarettes, drinking a latte on the go and the traffic of cars, buses and trucks lumbering by. You can just feel life pulsing!  Tate seemed in awe of it as well...every other word was car! bus! big big truck!!
I met the two of them back in the hotel room around lunchtime.  After grabbing some Chipotle for the two of us, we fed him and put him down for a nap (in my bed!)  I actually napped the entire time with him.  I was actually exhausted...the stress of the long trip, the losing an hour of sleep and just being in a new place had taken a toll on me as well.  My mom who swears she hates to nap read her book in the dim light of our cold room.




WOW!!
That afternoon we made our way to FAO Schwarz!!  After taking his picture with the FAO Schwarz soldier outside we made our way inside and Tate was mesmerized.  He just looked up and around and all about him and said 'WOW!' 'WOW!'  We walked through while he looked and touched anything and everything with reverence.  We made our way to FAO Schweetz - yum!  Just a little candy area within the store.  As my mom and I picked out our favorite treats of our childhoods, we ran into three young Navy soldiers.   I asked Tate to go over to them and say 'thank you'.  He did which made my heart melt.  As I watched these young men, boys really, I realized that most likely less than 16-18 years ago they were Tate's age and their mothers were watching them in a toy store in awe of them.  My wish for them as well as for my Tate is a safe life full of hope, joy and love.  May they be safe from harm as they continue on their journey in the military and into manhood.



Thank you from a grateful American!

    Then our big adventure continued!!  We were off in search of the BIG piano!  Yep!  The one from the Tom Hanks movie 'Big.'  We found it on the 2nd floor and let Tate have a go at it!!  He LOVED it!!  He squealed with joy!!  It took him a minute to figure out he was making music with his feet, but once he did he was in heaven.  We ended up staying for quite some time!


Loving the rides!!!
Once back in the NYC heat we moseyed down to Central Park in search of a playground for Tate.  What we found instead was a small children's amusement park in Central Park!  It was Victorian Gardens at Wollman Rink (which I suppose in winter might be an ice skating rink?!).  They had what looked to be several rides with hardly any people riding them!!  I decided Tate and I just had to go!!  My mom waited outside the park and enjoyed some shade and people watching.  Turns out the amusement park had just opened that day and would remain open through Labor Day!  We were soooo lucky!  There were maybe 5 other families in the park.  More than half of the rides were toddler appropriate.  Tate and I had an absolute blast!  We were even able to ride any rides we wanted multiple times, so if Tate didn't want to get off we just stayed on and went again!   As we circled around in the 'Samba Balloon' ride and I held onto Tate while he laughed and laughed I realized that this is how I envisioned motherhood...me holding on tight to my wee one while he enjoyed life and all it's offerings.  Watching him enjoy this little cheesy amusement park through his lit-up eyes brought tears to my eyes.  This is what everyone talks about when you experience life through the eyes of a child.  What a blessing to be able to witness life through the wondrous eyes of MY child.
Grandmommy waves at us!!


After all the rides and heat we could take, we met up with Grandmommy and meandered back to the hotel.  As we walked by the horse drawn carriages lining Central Park West Tate was constantly pointing and saying 'neigh neighs.'  Wish we could have had time for a ride, but there's always next time.






Once back at the hotel, we ordered room service for my mom and Tate.  They ate while I got showered and dressed.  I was off to meet my old college friend, Silke.  We reconnected via Facebook about 3 years ago.  I noticed about 8 weeks into my pregnancy on her page that she was pregnant as well and didn't seem to have a partner in any pictures or posts.  I cautiously asked her if she was having a baby as a single mother by choice like me.  And she was!!!  :)  I was so excited.  We were merely acquaintances in college, but since in the past 3 years we have become good friends.  We've shared pregnancies, newborns, infants and toddlers as well as her dipping her foot in the dating world, working single motherhood, and just life as women raising children trying to find their way.  It has been such a blessing.  Her little girl, Annabelle, is 3 months older than Tate.
Hot mamas out on the town!


So, Friday night we opted for a girls' night out in the city.  We met at a lovely French restaurant called Nice Matin.  The food was fantastic, the wine sublime and the conversation great.  And at 9:45pm after the bill had been paid, we looked at each other and decided to call it a night!  We had previously talked about going out to a bar or two to hang out and ok, possibly see a cute soldier or two.  But two single mommas over the age of 40 quickly realized that (a) said soldiers would most likely be half our age  (b) said soldiers would most likely not be able to afford the bars we would choose to patron and (c) we were TIRED!!  LOL.  Cabs were hailed, and we were off to find our pillows with plans to meet Saturday morning with the kids!!


I returned to the hotel to a sweet babe in my bed again and a sweet grandmommy sound asleep as well.  I could not be more blessed.

No comments: