Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Sunday, April 24, 2016

This Is The Life

My little Avenger just has me smiling all the time these days!  This is such an amazingly fun age!  I love hanging out with him, talking to him, playing with him, hugging on him, cuddling with him and just loving him.

I look at him and see this confident little boy who knows what he likes, what he doesn't like and why. He's thriving in school, socially and oh my goodness academically.  His teacher is always telling me how impressed she is with his intelligence, especially for being so very young (he's the absolute youngest child in the class).  His math skills are off the chart, his reading and spelling pretty close as well.  I haven't told him this myself though, for a variety of reasons.  I don't want him to stop working, stop trying to learn.  I don't want him to know that this stuff is coming easily to him because one day, most likely very soon, academics will not come easily for him.  There will be subjects or concepts that stump him, and I want him to not be afraid to try and possibly fail.  But he's starting to realize that he's doing a bit better than some of his classmates.  

Athleticism doesn't come easy to him, though he loves playing basketball, baseball and soccer.  He's begged to go to basketball and soccer camp this summer, and I'm betting that had baseball been sooner he would have asked for baseball camp as well.  But though he has to work hard in the sports arena, he does so with gusto and excitement.  It's been amazing to watch how much he's grown in just a year in all three sports.

I still think running is going to be his forte.  This child is fast, fast, fast.  My parents say he's an excellent swimmer as well....I'm looking forward to seeing him in the pool this summer.  

It's just mind-boggling that I have this person, a real live person with thoughts, opinions, ideas, likes and dislikes living in my home with me, riding in my car with me.  It's only been 6 1/2 years yet it feels like we've been together for 6 1/2 decades.  There are times I can't remember him not being here.  Then there are the times I want to cry for knowing that in 12 years he won't be here every day.  I'll look in my rear-view mirror as I drive to work, see his empty car seat,  and my heart ends up in my throat.   

I loved having a baby.  I loved being pregnant.  I fully expected to love those aspects of being a mother.   But goodness I am bowled over by how much I'm loving being a mother to this child, this person, this little boy, this gorgeous soul.  


 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love your post!! It is the great part of motherhood - watching them become their own people. Luckily Elsie tells me she is NEVER leaving me so I don't have to worry about teh day she no longer lives with me. ;)

Anonymous said...

There is nothing like it in the world-having a baby or babies. Nothing! I loved your post too.