All was well. He had a hearing test. It was so cute to watch. The nurse put headphones on him and told him to raise his hand on the side he heard the noise. At first he put his hand up when he heard the first sound, then he started raising both hands or no hands. Then he started telling us what the sounds sounded like...trains and doorbells. It took a bit, but he finally 'got it.'
They also did an eye exam which he whizzed through! He didn't fuss about anything, not the blood pressure or examination until it was time for the immunizations! I mistakenly told him he was getting a couple of shots (I only did DtAP and IPV). He started whining and crying immediately. At that point I don't think he even knew what a shot was. We've never talked about them, not ever. Sigh. Well he was a mess crying "No Mommy, please Mommy!" Now I've never felt the least bit bad about him getting a shot, not even when he was 2 months old. I've never wanted to cry because it hurt like many other moms do. Though I insisted upon splitting the injections up over the course of the years, I didn't get upset. Until this time. There was a brief moment when he was begging me not to let the nurse do it that I felt myself ready to tear up. He just broke my heart. He was begging the one person who has promised to protect him always and forever to not let this 'bad' thing happen to him. I took a big breath and held him down though and we made it through with no tears on my part and a howl and kicking on his part. Everyone survived. He got a couple of Thomas stickers and we made our way down the street to get him a new Thomas train. He chose Connor!
Tuesday morning rolled around and it was time for me to go back to work and Tate to go back to daycare/school.
More importantly, it was Tate's first day of PRE-KINDERGARTEN!!!
I cannot believe my little boy is in Pre-K. I am shaken to my core with awe, pride and disbelief. My son will be going to elementary school in one year. One year. Big boy school.
Not thinking about that. Not thinking about that. Not thinking about that. Not thinking about that.
School actually started on Monday, but we had our other plans, so rebels that we are, Tate and I started on Tuesday (wonder if that will work next year!!??)
![]() |
| So excited about his new lunchbox! His pre-school teacher who absolutely adores has a sister who is the one who gave Tate the lunchbox! Isn't that just the sweetest? |
![]() |
| There's that smirk I love!!! |
| In front of his favorite center - The Train Center! Thanks Ms. D!!!! |
| At his new desk!!! |
![]() |
| He's been on green all week!! |
| Hanging with his new teacher, Ms. D! |
| Early morning they combine classes as teachers arrive! Mrs. L was Tate's teacher the year 2011-2012! He loves her! |
I have been utterly blessed. Truly blessed. I read all these posts about kids with sensory issues, developmental delays, kids who hit and spit and have mean-spirited dispositions or are just plain difficult. And I see kids like that every single day at my office. The sheer number of children that we see on a daily basis with some sort of diagnosis of mental difficulty or sensory issues or acting out (I'm shocked by how many kids hit and kick their parents in anger. Absolutely shocked).
And I know I'm blessed. God is amazing. I'm so very grateful that He has given me this soul to love and nurture. I know I fail miserably in my nurturing sometimes, and I throw myself on His mercy and beg forgiveness for He has trusted me with one of His children. I'm lucky. So lucky.
I get to be Tate's mom.









2 comments:
You are lucky indeed!
But maybe you can also claim a TINY bit of credit.
Good job, Mom!
Tate is just as lucky as you are!
Liam starts PreK next week. I can't believe this is the last year of preschool for our family!
Tate's school looks amazing! He is going to be one smart boy (already is)!
Post a Comment